The historic Astros and Agios Ioannis (Agiannis) are one community.
Welcome to the historic Astros where in 1823 the Second National Assembly of the Greeks took place.
The historic Astros is built at an altitude of 75 m. In the center of the plain of Thyrea, 40 km southeast of Tripoli and 33 km southwest of Nafplio and belongs to the prefecture of Arcadia. Astros and Agios Ioannis (Agiannis) Kynouria have been a community for at least eight hundred years.
With the first administrative division of the Greek state in 1835, it joined the Municipality of Thyreas, which had its original seat in Agios Ioannis from 1834. From 1841 to 1912, it was the winter seat of the Municipality of Thyreas, Agiannis was the summer seat. The Municipality of Thyreas was established by decree of 9 (21) November 1834/12 May 1835, according to which the first municipalities of Arcadia and Kynouria were established. In 1912, the old Municipal system of 1834 was abolished and the communities were established. The following communities emerged from the Municipality of Thyreas: Astros, Vervena, Xiropigadou, Paralio Astros, Meligou, Platanos and Haradros.
Since 1912 the settlement was the seat of the community of Astros which evolved into the Municipality of Astros in 1985. Since 1997 Astros is the seat of the Municipality of North Kynouria. The first official reference of the city with the name “Astros” is found in a gold bull of the year 1293.
For many centuries before the revolution of 1821 in different reports and maps the two settlements Astros and Agiannis are mixed, Astros refers to Astros, becomes Agiannis, Kalivia Astros, Agiannitika huts and Agiannis refers to Agiannis, becomes Astros, Astros, and Agiannis of Astros. It seems that Astros started from the xerokambi and the castle of Oria, Estella, which is located near Agiannis, to the castle of Paralio Astros or also Estella, (which is also mentioned in many maps as a castle), and its core was its inhabitants Agianni and today’s Astros and the settler of Paralio Astros, Agiannitis Akouros, who knew his place better than all of us, certainly agreed with them.
Astros and Agiannis have been a community for at least eight hundred years and most importantly the inhabitants are the same, they had and still have houses in Agiannis and Astros. Let us also remember what Thucydides told us, “the inhabitants are the states”…, not are states, cities and castles.
In the historic Astros of Kynouria we have it all.
“Here, the Second National Assembly of the Greeks met on March 30, 18 April 1823”
The “Holy Space” of the Second National Assembly of the Greeks is undoubtedly one of the most important historical monuments not only of Kynouria but also of our homeland.
1) We are close to everything ..
2) We have the “sun and the sea” of the Argolic, with many enchanting beaches.
3) We have a long history and very important archeological monuments
4) We have Parnon, “our mountains and our castles”.
5) We are the “Mount Athos” of Southern Greece.
We have our neighbors and the right infrastructure for holidays for everyone and for families.
Astros is not the center of the world, but it is very close to the most important Archaeological Sites and Museums of our country that with day trips from Astros are easily visited by many of our friends when choosing Astros for the basis of their annual vacation.
Palamidi in Nafplio (33 km), Mycenae (43 km), the Epidaurus Theater (70 km), Olympia (170 km), the Parthenon, the Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum in Athens (170 km), Delphi ( 288 km) and Mystras (88 km).
The Municipality of North Kynouria, based in the historic Astros, consists of 26 Local Apartments and 40 settlements, located in the northeastern part of the Prefecture of Arcadia and east is bathed by the waters of the Argolic Gulf. We have a long history and very important archeological monuments.
In all of Thyeratida Earth (Thyrea) it is not an exaggeration to say that a small stone and you will find a historical monument and an archaeological treasure. In Astros, March 30 – April 18, 1823, the Second National Assembly of the Greeks met, with the main purpose of the revision and modernization of the Constitution which had been voted in 1822 AD, during the First National Assembly in Epidaurus, for this and was named “Law of Epidaurus”. The Karytsioti school played a leading and decisive role in making Agiannis the capital of revolutionary Greece from August 15 to October 1, 1822. Like Astros, all the neighboring villages have contributed much to the Greek revolution of 1821 and have a long history. The most important historical villages are Agios Ioannis <Agiannis>, Vervena, Doliana, Agios Petros, Prastos, Kastanitsa, Paralio Astros, Korakovouni and Sitaina.
In the neighboring Tsakonochoria, Prastos, Kastanitsa, Sitaina, Agios Andreas, Leonidio and Tyros, the Tsakonian dialect is spoken until today, which has its roots in ancient Doric, “today they speak ancient Greek”. In Tsakonian villages there are signs with the inscription “Kaour Ekane”, which means welcome. The Tsakonian “ts’es’ poiou” means what you do (comes from the ancient verb I do ).
We have the right infrastructure for holidays for everyone and for families Today Astros and Thyrea in general is a beautiful small town that has everything it needs to please and the most demanding visitor. Athens is 170 km, about two hours, the airport about 200 km and ‘Astros has the best and “famous Attic climate“, without the exhaust gases of Athens (the real distance directly from Athens is about 100 km opposite Piraeus ..)
Astros and Thyrea have a health center, banks, restaurants, hotels, stadiums, shops, many gas stations, many cars and whatever else the small towns have and Tripoli and Nafplio are close to half an hour. Astros has become a global holiday destination and our secret is “whoever comes to our place will definitely come again and will definitely bring his friends”, as the German guests from a fellow citizen did. In Paralio Astros it has apartment owners from Athens and the Diaspora, who often come to enjoy the enchanting beaches of the Argolic in a wonderful Attic climate. Astros and Thyrea are visited regularly every year by Germany, Italy, France, England, Athens, our entire homeland, the Greek Diaspora and the whole world. It is no coincidence that we heard on Portes beach a friend of ours from the Diaspora who said in a court from Italy, our regular visitor for ten years, “you will surely become mayor soon”. Also “little Paris” Agiannis and the other traditional villages of Parnon are very close.
We have it all and we are close to everything, we are waiting for you in the hospitable historic Astros, Kynouria.
Astros and Agios Ioannis (Agiannis) are one community.
Welcome to the historic Astros where in 1823 the Second National Assembly of the Greeks took place.
Agios Ioannis (Agiannis) of Kynouria, was the capital of the Greek state in 1822 and offered many and important things in the revolution of 1821.
The historic Astros and Agios Ioannis (Agiannis) are a community.
It is a mountain village built at an altitude of 750 m., 17 km west of Astros. It is administratively subordinated to the community of Astros and the Municipality of North Kynouria. In 1845, the village became the seat of Kynouria Province. From 1834 to 1912, it was the summer capital of the Municipality of Thyrea. The first mention of the village is made in the Chronicle of the Fall of Constantinople by Georgios Sfratzis, in 1453.
Astros and Paralio Astros came from the village of Agios Ioannis, as well as other settlements. Agiannis is advertised for its beautiful mountain climate that renews and invigorates its inhabitants and visitors, has many natural beauties and is only half an hour away from Astros. The mountainous climate, as they typically said “not to be eaten by the plain”, was one of the reasons that the inhabitants were forced despite all the difficulties to have the upper and lower village, they needed both.
From the end of the 80’s, an intense construction activity began in Agiannis, which continues to this day, and mainly concerns the restoration of the old traditional houses. At the same time many new houses were built. Many visitors from all over Greece and Germany buy houses in Agianni. It has developed into the holiday village of Astros and especially in the summer it is a gathering place of the people of Agianni everywhere, but also of vacationers from all over Greece, in the sixties the friends of the village called Agianni “the little Paris”.
Dimitris Karytsiotis built the famous Karytsiotis school, the “university” in pre-revolutionary Greece in 1798 in Agiannis and the branch of the school in 1805 in Astros. His contribution to the Thyreatis Earth and the homeland is incalculable. Pre-revolutionary Greece had many small “hidden” and few open schools. One of the few obvious schools was the famous Karytsiotis School that was built in 1798, 23 years before the Greek revolution and this is of great importance. It was built on the hill Koutri of Agiannis Kynourias and was one of the few “universities” of our pre-revolutionary homeland and its students were from all over mainland Greece and our islands.
Our great benefactor Dimitrios Karytsiotis, a powerful Agiannitis patriot of the Diaspora, found a way to allow the 400-year-old Turkish conquerors to allow the acquisition and operation of the school in Agiannis and in the branch of the Karytsiotis school in Astros Kynourias, which opened in 1805.
The branch of the Karytsiotis school in Astros, has housed the Archaeological Museum of Astros since 1985.
The Karytsioti school played a catalytic role for the local community for many years and even today, since all the people of Agianni with great effort and with every sacrifice wanted their children to learn letters and as graduates “squids” to change their lives, according to the “smart” expectations of their great benefactor Dimitrios Karytsiotis.
General Panos Zafeiropoulos (Akouros).
The people of Agiannites offered many and important things to the Greek revolution of 1821 and the most important of all the people of Agiannites was General Panos Zafeiropoulos (Akouros). responsible for military security in time of war of the National Assembly in Astros., At the beginning of the revolution, under the leadership of Panos Zafeiropoulos, more than 100 inhabitants of Agiannis, participated in battles in Tripolitsa and throughout the Peloponnese. Also under the leadership of Georgakis Digenis, they participated in the battles of Doliana and Vervena.
The “government” of Agiannis
From the beginning in 1821, discussions began between the revolutionaries to make Agiannis the capital of the free Greek state. The Karytsioti school played a primary and decisive role in making Agiannis the capital of revolutionary Greece from August 20 to October 1, 1822. The “government” located very close to the Karytsiotis school of Agiannis was the seat of government. . This period is also confirmed by the Archives of Lazaros and Georgios Kountouriotis (vol. AD, p. 92 ff.).
In 1826 the village was completely destroyed by Ibrahim’s hordes with the same fate as other villages in the area. Ibrahim Pasha also destroyed many churches, such as Agios Vassilios, Agios Efstratios, Agios Petros, as well as the famous School of Karytsiotis. The founding inscription of the famous Karytsiotis School
From Arkades Esmen, Smaragdi Arvaniti
“At the entrance of the village there is the modern church of Agia Paraskevi. Continuing you meet a thicket, the “Koutri”. There the visitor sees a marble slab built into the wall. This is the founding inscription of the famous Karytsiotis School, which alone survived after the burning of the School by the hordes of Ibrahim on July 30, 1826.
After “Koutri”, about 250 m., You can find the central square of the village, with the big plane tree. There is also the church of Ai-Giorgis, post-Byzantine, with a holographic interior. The murals are probably works of the Agiannitis priest and painter Georgios Koulidas. In many of them there are traces of the passage of Ibrahim: swords in the faces of the Saints and the taking out of their eyes.
Descending from Ai-Giorgis square to the lower part of the village we reach the vaulted spring Pigadaki, with the embossed, Arabic script Turkish inscription on a wall slab and date 1100 (1742 AD): “The reizis (officer) Hatzi-Isma , philanthropist and peacemaker, leaves a source of clean and fresh water thanks to the world. For his lively work to say the Fetiha (prayer) “.
A little further down is the church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos, also post-Byzantine. The visitor admires the centuries-old plane tree and the abundant icy water that springs just below the church and flows through four canals. Until about 1960 the water moved four watermills and irrigated the lucrative orchards. Unfortunately, now the place is almost abandoned and the cotton trees have taken the place of the orchards.
We continue east, in the lower village, we pass the old school, the shrine in the place of the church of St. Basil, which was also set on fire by Ibrahim, and we reach the much-sung spring, Soulinari, with the imposing plane tree, decoration for the area.
From Ai-Giorgis square, a road leads to the upper part of the village, and to Lakka, the second square, where the church of Panagia is located, built by the brothers M. Papoulias (or Touri) on the foundations of an older one that was destroyed by Ibrahim From this point one can admire almost the whole village, the wild beauty of the surrounding mountains and the lively green. The road continues and leads to the exit from the village to the Monastery of Malevi and Agios Petros. Leaving Agiannis, a stop is required in Perdikoneri, a spring with excellent and digestive water. The landscaping Association of the village designed the space with seats and shelter, thus creating an ideal place for relaxation and for a walk, especially on hot summer nights. At about 2 km, in the place “Xirokambi”, there are ruins of the Castle of Oria, from the period of Frankish rule, about which many legends, traditions and songs have been told.
Very close to the village, there are the famous waterfalls of Lepida.
The village has excellent taverns, where meat and cheese produced by the breeders of the area are served, as well as the famous Agiannitiko wine, Kokkineli. There is also a traditional guest house with all modern comforts. Relaxing moments you enjoy with a coffee and dessert in the cafes in the square of Ai-Giorgis, under the plane tree, overlooking the mountains. During the summer and mainly in the context of the religious festivals of Agios Georgios, Agios Panteleimon, Agia Paraskevi, Profitis Ilias, Panagia, Prodromos, Agios Dimitrios, traditional festivals are organized – feasts, but also a number of cultural events “. The village has many traditional springs, such as Soulinari, Perdikoneri, Pigadaki, Mousga, Prodromo and many traditional buildings. In winter the inhabitants go down to Astros.
In the home page you will find the contents in the categories that you are inerest.
With the encouragement and indirect help of our fellow citizens we created https://astrosgr.com/ & https://astrosgr.com/astrosgr-com-en/a reference point for Astros Greece, Thyreatis Land (Thyrea), the neighboring villages and the Municipality of North Kynouria, which evolve and are shaped every day, with the visit of thousands of our readers. We will constantly add interesting topics to keep you better informed.
The historic Astros of Kynouria is located on the west beach of the Argolic, where the above map shows the ancient city of Thyrea, south of the first city in Europe the historic Argos and the seat of the Mycenaean culture Mycenae.
Athens is 170 km, about two hours, the airport is about 200 km and Astros has the famous and best Attica climate.
In the historical Astros of Kynouria, Greece we have it all. 1) We are close to everything .. 2) We have the “sun and the sea” of the Argolic Gulf, with many enchanting beaches. 3) We have a great history and very important archeological monuments 4) We have Parnona, “our mountains and our castles “. 5) We are the” Mount Athos “of Southern Greece
We have our neighbors and the appropriate infrastructure for holidays for all and for families
The historic Astros of Kynouria is not the center of the world, but “it is close to everything and we have it all”.
In the ancient Greek world Delphi was the navel of the earth.
Astros is very close to the most important Archaeological Sites and Museums of our country, which one day we should all visit, which are easily visited by many of our friends with day trips from Astros, when they choose Astros for the basis of their annual vacation.
a. Most important Archaeological Sites and Museums in Greece. Palamidi in Nafplio (33 km), Turin 33 km, Mycenae (43 km), the Epidaurus Theater (70 km), Olympia (170 km), the Parthenon, the Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum in Athens ( 170 km), Delphi (288 km) and Mystras (88 km).
b. We have with us easily accessible the “Aegean islands“
c. We have many historical and traditional villages and our friends Tsakones who continue to speak ancient Greek.
2) The Argolic gulf and our beaches.
We have the “sun and the sea” of the Argolic, with many enchanting beaches. We are a magical “island that has it all”. Let us repeat, we have with us easily accessible the “Aegean islands”.
Astros and Agiannis perfectly combine “the mountain and the sea” and that is why many prefer Astros for their holidays. The change of landscape from the blue of the sea to the green of the plain and the mountain, is a pleasant challenge for the demanding traveler who quickly gets bored of the monotonous scenery.
The picturesque “island” Paralio Astros is 4 km from Astros. The “island”, as the old people called the inhabited hill, has nothing to envy from any Aegean island, it has it all, it is only 2 hours from Athens and very close is the “mountain” Parnonas and its traditional villages, from its port the access to the “Aegean islands” is easy.
The Argolic has enchanting beaches and the “sun and the sea” of the Argolic is charming, Anyone who tries once comes again and becomes a permanent…. It is no coincidence that we have regular visitors from Germany, Italy, France, England and all of Greece. On the beach there is also the small German settlement. !!!
We have a long history and very important archeological monuments, which undoubtedly played a catalytic importance for the organization and success of the liberation struggle.
The “Holy Space” of the Second National Assembly of the Greeks
“ At this place, the Second National Assembly of the Greeks met, March 30 – April 18, 1823 “,
In Astros, in 1823 AD, the Second National Assembly of the Greeks convened, with the main purpose of the revision and modernization of the Constitution which had been voted in 1822 AD, during the First National Assembly in Epidaurus, for this and was named “Law of Epidaurus”. The country now has a final Charter, which regulates all matters related to the establishment and operation of the state, institutions and the army. The revised Constitution, extremely progressive and pioneering for its time. The Assembly, in the model of the Constitutions of the French Revolution of 1789 AD, also drafted the “Declaration of the NW of the Greek Assembly”. The assembly responded with the proclamation, to the world and the greats of the time. “We are determined to become independent, as an autonomous and independent nation.” a little topical today…
The Karytsiotis School of Agiannis
The school of Karytsiotis of Agiannis with its branch in Astros played a primary and decisive role for Agiannis to become the capital of the revolted Greece.
The founding inscription of the Karytsiotis School of Agiannis.
“1798 IN THE MONTH OF JULY 18 THE SCHOOL TO PHILOTHEAMON ..”
Dimitris Karytsiotis built the famous school Karytsiotis the “university” in pre-revolutionary Greece in 1798 in Agiannis (17 km) and the branch of the school in 1805 in Astros. His contribution to the Thyroid Earth and the homeland is incalculable. Pre-revolutionary Greece had many small “hidden” and few open schools. One of the few obvious schools was the famous Karytsiotis School that was built in 1798, 23 years before the Greek revolution and this is of great importance. It was built on the hill Koutri of Agiannis Kynourias and was one of the few “universities” of our pre-revolutionary homeland and its students were from all over mainland Greece and our islands. Our great benefactor Dimitrios Karytsiotis, a powerful Agiannitis patriot of the Diaspora, found a way for the 400-year-old Turkish conquerors to allow the construction and operation of the school in Agiannis and the branch of the Karytsiotis school in Astros Kynourias.
The Archaeological Museum of Astros.
The Archaeological Museum of Astros has been housed since 1985 in the building of the Karytsiotis school (built in 1805), of local traditional style, lined with the stone wall, together with the courtyard that survives to this day the chimneys of the rooms of the boarding students and the also chanted separately neighboring “Sacred Space” of the Second National Assembly of the Greeks. It also has a large courtyard, which has been converted into an archeological park and exhibition. In the courtyard the visitor can admire two statues on a couch, of Herod Atticus and his wife, as well as columns and capitals of Corinthian style.
The space is modest, harmonious and imposing, “it is a museum in itself”.
The exhibition material of the Museum includes the following collections: Architectural members from the Villa of Herodes Atticus in Eva (Doliana Kynourias), finds, mainly ceramics from cemeteries of Hellenistic times, small objects and coins from various areas of Kynouria, inscriptions from various places
Agios Ioannis Kynourias: The “government” and Panos (Akouros) Zafeiropoulos
Agiannis was the capital of revolutionary Greece from August 22 to October 1, 1822. The “government” located very close to the Karytsiotis school of Agiannis was the seat of government.
Ibrahim slaughtered and burned the whole Peloponnese, but he could never defeat Akouros, although he had temporarily captured him, not even in the castle of Paralio Astros, someone had to resist and it is our great honor, this was Panagiotis Zafeiropoulos from Agianniti ( 500 books were saved from the burning of the School, which were kept in 1827 in the house of the Zafeiropouloi (Castle of Paralio Astros).
The “camp of the Bervena“, the historic Vervena and the historic Doliana
The battle of May 18, 1821 in historic Vervena and historic Doliana thwarted the dismantling of the camp in Vervena and the plan of the Turks. It also boosted the morale of the revolutionaries and paved the way for the fall of Tripoli.
Undoubtedly the “camp of the Berbens” played a catalytic role in the organization and success of the liberation struggle. From the “camp of the historical Bervens” the liberation of our homeland began essentially and militarily.
4) Our mountains and castles .
We have Parnonas, “our mountains and our castles”.
Much of North Kynouria, but also a natural border to the west to Laconia is the mountain range of Parnon. Parnonas or Malevos delineates to the middle the borders of the prefectures of Arcadia and Laconia and its southern extension reaches the cape of Malea. Its name is very ancient and comes from the same root as the names of the mountains Parnitha and Parnassos, denoting “the shining peak”, from the rising sun or the moon. Its highest peak is Megali Tourla (1.93B meters], while on its ridge there are several mountain peaks, whose altitude exceeds 1500 meters.
The name Parnonas means bright glow, from the light of the sun or from the light of the moon.
Castles, we have many castles…
Castle Estella or Castle Oria near Agiannis “ suso en law montanyas”
Paralio Astros Castle or Zafeiropoulos
5) Monasteries and churches
We are the “Mount Athos” of Southern Greece
Parnonas: the “Mount Athos” of Southern Greece Dozens of monasteries of Parnonas, sometimes rooted in steep cliffs, roots of the faith and soul of Christianity and sometimes on hills, ascension to the uncle and the dream. Founded for many centuries, they are a complex part of the history of the place, high examples of architecture, places of mental euphoria and rejoicing, paths of redemption and hope.
Monasteries of the Municipality of North Kynouria, distances from Astros.
Holy Monastery of Loukous 4km, Holy Monastery of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary Palaiopanagia 6 km, Holy Monastery of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary Malevi 26 km, Holy Monastery of Timios Prodromos Perdikovris 37 km, Holy Monastery of Panagia Artokasos Kotonas 20 km in Leonidio (64km), and Mystras 90km We have the right infrastructure for holidays for everyone and for families. In the historic Astros of Kynouria we have it all.
We have the right infrastructure for holidays for everyone and for families.
In the historic Astros of Kynouria we have it all.
The historic Astros of Kynouria is not the center of the world, but “it is close to everything and we have it all”.
In the ancient Greek world Delphi was the navel of the earth.
The historic Astros of Kynouria is located on the west beach of the Argolic gulf, where the above map shows the ancient city of Thyrea, south of the first city in Europe the historic Argos and the seat of the Mycenaean culture Mycenae.
Athens is 170 km, about two hours, the airport is about 200 km and Astros has the famous and best Attica climate.
Astros is very close to the most important Archaeological Sites and Museums of our country, which one day we should all visit, which are easily visited by many of our friends with day trips from Astros, when they choose Astros for the basis of their annual vacation.
Most important Archaeological Sites and Museums in Greece. Palamidi in Nafplio (33 km), Turin 33 km, Mycenae (43 km), the Epidaurus Theater (70 km), Olympia (170 km), the Parthenon, the Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum in Athens ( 170 km), Delphi (288 km) and Mystras (88 km).
In our country we generally have a long history and prehistory. The Peloponnese also has many historical and archaeological monuments and the most important Greek cultures from the Pelasgians, Achaeans, Danes, Argeians, Arcadians, Ionians and Dorians.
In particular, Kynouria and Thyreatis Land also have a long history of about 3,000 years (since the beginning of history we are present) longer prehistory of about 8,000 years. The indigenous Pelasgians had a golden rule that for millennia until today the inhabitants of Thyrea faithfully applied, mutual respect, consensus, conciliation and the Greek measure. They were also influenced and kept the best of all the Greeks who passed through Thyreatida Land.
In ancient Greece was known the famous Battle of Thyrea, or the Battle of 600 “logades” between Argos and Sparta for Thyrateida Land, which took place in 546 BC.
“Kynouria from the end of the 11th c. e.g. until Roman times, it was a sought-after booty to satisfy the interests of Sparta and Argos. Geographically, its area is divided into two large sections. The north, which in ancient times corresponded to Thyreatida, with the main settlement of Thyrea and secondary Anthini, Nirida, Eva and Astros, while the south corresponded to the land of Prasia, in which there was the main settlement Prasiai and the secondary , Cheese and Sculpture. Until the 7th c. e.g. Kynouria must maintain its autonomy (resulting from the participation of the Greens in the Amphitryon of Kalavria) despite the efforts of Argos and Sparta to annex it. “
In the whole of Thyrea it is not an exaggeration to say that if you pick up a small stone you will find a historical monument and an archeological treasure. Like Astros, which in 1823 became the Second National Assembly of the Greeks, all the neighboring villages have contributed a lot to the Greek revolution of 1821 and have a long history. The most important historical villages are Agios Ioannis <Agiannis> was the capital of the Greek state in 1822, Paralio Astros, Korakovouni, Agios Petros, Prastos, Kastanitsa, Sitaina, Vervena and Doliana.
In the neighboring Tsakonochoria, Prastos, Kastanitsa, Sitaina, Agios Andreas, Leonidio and Tyros, the Tsakonian dialect is spoken until today, which has its roots in the ancient Doric. In some villages there are signs with the inscription “Kaour Ekane”, which means welcome. The Tsakonian “che poiou” means what are you doing? <Comes from the ancient verb I do>, which means otherwise for those who know ancient Greek will pass better in Tsakonia…
We have proposed to our municipality, to all those responsible for the committee “Greece 2021” and to the common mind, the four issues of the Thyreatis Land, which undoubtedly played a catalytic importance for the organization and success of the liberation struggle.
In our opinion, the most important historical monuments in our municipality that we must always distinguish and promote where we can are:
Thucydides 2.27.1,2] “In the same summer, the Athenians displaced all the inhabitants of Aegina, men, women and children…. They did it out of hatred against the Athenians and because the Aeginians had helped them when the great earthquake had taken place and when the Helots had revolted. Thyreatis land is located on the border of Argeia land and Laconian and reaches the sea. “Some of the Aeginians settled there and the others scattered all over Greece.”
We will gradually add links that will lead to details on each topic. For those who like hiking a bit. Let’s go for a walk in the village, “in Astros the arched and with its nobility”, we have a lot to see on foot or by car.
Of particular interest is the church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos in Agiannis. The abundant icy water of the spring Prodromos flows through five canals, one is very low, just below the church, as if the water seems to come through the church. (17km)
Agios Ioannis (Agiannis) of Kynouria, was the capital of the Greek state in 1822 and offered many and important things in the revolution of 1821.
Let’s go for a walk to get to know the sights of Agios Ioannis (Agianni) Kynouria. We will walk slowly to the village and we will see all the sights in a row. Later where we have material we will add links that will lead to details. We have a lot to see around Agiannis
1)In the first photo we can see a partial view of Agiannis from Kalogerovouni.
2)Our walk begins with the founding inscription of the Karytsiotis School of Agiannis. «1798 IN MONTH JULY 18 THE SCHOOL TO PHILOTHEAMON. WHY DID YOU GET BURIED FRIEND FILOTHEAMON WITH A QUESTION SECRET YOU ASK MY NAME……………..
Pre-revolutionary Greece had many small “hidden” and few open schools. One of the few obvious schools was the famous Karytsiotis School that was built in 1798, 23 years before the Greek revolution and this is of great importance. It was built on the hill Koutri of Agiannis Kynourias and was one of the few “universities” of our pre-revolutionary homeland and its students were from all over mainland Greece and our islands. Our great benefactor Dimitrios Karytsiotis (1741 – 1819), a powerful Agiannitis patriot of the Diaspora, found a way to allow the 400-year-old Turkish conquerors to acquire and operate the school in Agiannis and in the branch of the Karytsiotis school in Astros, which in 1805.
3) The “government” located very close to the Karytsiotis school of Agiannis was the seat of government The Karytsiotis school played a primary and decisive role in making Agiannis the capital of revolutionary Greece from 15 August to 1 October 1822. The “government” located very close to the Karytsiotis school of Agiannis was the seat of government. under the windows.
4) The mansion of Zafeiropoules in Agiannis The above mansion of Zafeiropouloi is located just above the source Soulinari, at the bottom of the village and is just below the school Karytsioti. After the πριν before the.’S burning of the school by Ibrahim in 1826, Panos Zafeiropoulos and Akouros here initially transported the 1500 books of the Karytsiotis school here, before transferring them permanently to the castle of Paralio Astros for better preservation
5) The famous traditional spring Soulinari Agiannis was the capital of Greece under the Provisional Government of the Revolution, from August 15 to October 1, and the neighborhood of Soulinari was the metropolis of Agiannis. specifically in the place of Matthew and near the source Soulinari.
6)” According to the historian Nikolaos I. Floudas “The mansion of the Kourogiorgas – Fourliga family in Agios Ioannis. It is located in the place “Elagos – Agios Vassilios”, near the source Soulinari. The lower school of the village was housed here during the Turkish occupation
7)”According to the historian Nikolaos I. Floudas, who saved the relevant Agianniti tradition, after the burning of the Karytsiotis School by Ibrahim Pasha, the students were taught in the basement of this mansion as well as in the neighboring mansion of Fourligas” (Grigori)\
8) The mansion of Panos Sarigiannis as it was in the 1960s. Panos Sarigiannis was one of the pworkers of the Revolution in the Peloponnese from a very early age. In 1820 he was initiated into the Friendly Society by Agiopetritis Protestant Anagnostis Kondakis, in Constantinople,
9) The old primary school of Agiannis
10) Students in front of the primary school in 1958 The photo was taken in front of the old primary school of Agiannis in 1958 by our fellow photographer and barber Thanasis Koutivas. Our late teacher Leonidas Kolovos can be seen with most of the students of the school, some of whom were absent that day.\
11) The famous traditional source Pigadaki. “On March 13, 1742, the Pigadaki spring was erected, a little above Prodromos, in the settlement of Hasapogianneika. The source was built according to the founding inscription, which is written in Arabic,
12) The mansion of Tsakonas with the scalpel was acquired in the 15th century. This mansion is located in Koufovouno, just above the church of Prodromos.It is a building of the 14th – 15th century, according to the testimony of the owner Ioannis Harbalis. So we understand that it is probably the oldest house in our village. The scalpel can be seen at the end of the building on the left under the two windows,
13) Tsakonas’ scalpel can be seen.
14) The church of Agios Ioannis the Forerunner. Agiannis took its name from the picturesque church of Agios Ioannis the Forerunner. The visitor admires the centuries-old plane tree and the abundant icy water that springs just below the church and flows through five canals, one is very low, as if the water seems to come through the church.
15) The church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos, the tiles on the roof can be seen, as they had before we discovered the tiles ..
16) The source of Prodromos, the abundant water is like coming out of the church. The majestic church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos in Agiannis was renovated and became a patriarchal exarchate in 1638. Plenty of icy water springs just below the church. Just as the water flows through five canals, one is very low, as if the water seems to be coming through the church.
17) The cistern of the forerunner and the plane tree
18) The sougelos of the water, the water was transported away to irrigate the “pergolas” and to live the people of Agiannites for many centuries ,,
19) The mansion of Kotzabasi, an associate of the Turks Anagnostis Papazoglou, who was feared not only by the Greeks but also by the Turks of the Peloponnese.
20) We go up the paved road in the village square where the historic church of Ai Giorgis is located with the big bell in the plane tree, which broke strangely ..?. The church of Ai Giorgis, post-Byzantine, with a holographic interior. The murals are probably works of the Agiannitis priest and painter Georgios Koulidas The old photo from the website Thyreatis Gi .
21) Old photo of a lot of people in the village squarefrom the website Thyreatis Gi. LATE 19TH PRINCIPLES OF THE 20TH CENTURY.
22) We went up to Lakka at the top of the village, an old photo from Lakka of the village. Agiannis is advertised for its beautiful mountain climate that renews and invigorates its inhabitants and visitors, has many natural beauties and is only half an hour away from the beach of the Stars.
23) From Lakka we gaze at the village, the new technologies begin…. and evolution ..
24) The church of Panagia in Lakka. The church of Panagia in Lakka, at the top of the village with a nice view, in Lakka, the second square, where the church of Panagia is located, built by the brothers M. Papoulias (or Touris) on the foundations of an older one destroyed by Ibrahim. From this point one can admire almost the whole village, the wild beauty of the surrounding mountains and the lively green. the church has been recently renovated .. we thank the friends of Agiannis.
25) From Lakka we gaze at the new village, many new tiles, and Kalogerovouni opposite.
26) The new… many new ίζουν The Guesthouse of “Founta
27) The famous tavern of “Karamantzanis in Lakka, wonderful view. does not appear in this photo, we will find another one later ..
28) We said new…. stone houses
29) Picturesque new houses for rent
30) The Platanas cafe in the square of the village of Agianni
31) From the village square
32) The cafe “To koutri” is located next to the founding plate of the school Karytsioti, on Koutri small hill as we enter the village from Astros was built the famous school Karytsioti.
35)The school in Agiannis was a marble and spectacular historical monument, burned by Ibrahim in 1826, the photo shows the annex of the school of Agiannis in Astros, acquired in 1805, which now houses the Archaeological Museum of Astros next to the neighboring “The Holy Shrine” 2nd National Assembly of the Greeks, this place is modest and imposing, it is a “museum” in itself (distance 17 km)
“The total is greater than the sum of its parts.” Aristotle
We always have our neighbors by our side and we promote our place for everyone, for us and for our neighbors. We can project more effectively that we all have together and the projection of an area is not done from one square … but from all the squares of Thyrea.
Our friends and neighbors, we are all in the same boat of Thyrea, no one is left over, we never open holes, nor do we let others open holes …, because eventually we will all sink and drown ……
When someone visits us, he does not come to see only one square, he always sees more, let us understand. Let’s put it another way and in a nutshell, it is in our interest to show “what we have” and our neighbors (and it is in our interest not to shoot ourselves ….), period and pavla.
The Municipality of North Kynouria, based in the historic Astros, consists of 26 Local Apartments and 40 settlements, located in the northeastern part of the Prefecture of Arcadia and to the east is bathed by the waters of the Argolic Gulf.
In the whole of Thyrea it is not an exaggeration to say that if you pick up a small stone you will find a historical monument and an archeological treasure.
Below are the communities of our municipality in a geographical order.
The blue letters are links. Let us know our neighbors they have a lot …
Photos and texts from the website Thyreatis land (northern kynouria Θυρεατις γη (βορεια κυνουρια Anniversary of March 25 in the 50s. From the archive of the Kordogiannis family. Pupils beautifully dressed for the celebration of March 25 in the 1950s in front of the then high school Astros in the school Karytsioti, today Archaeological Museum … Continue reading“School photos, Our teachers -Pho”
Θυρεατις γη (βορεια κυνουρια Our respect and admiration for the monuments and our history is evident, when 55 years ago we worshiped the “Holy Space” of the Second National Assembly of the Greeks. This space can not be taken from us. This space is ours, it belongs to the local community and it does not … Continue reading“School photos, in the 1960s-Ph”
The name Parnonas means bright glow, from the light of the second sun or from the light of the moon. Published by John Kourogiorgas astrosgr.com/en / John Koutogiorgas Back to astrosgr.com/en /Dedicated to Thyreatis Land
Photos from the website Thyreatis Land Θυρεατις γη (βορεια κυνουρια Agiannites in the square of AiGiorgis in Agiannis late 19th to early 20th century Very old photo from the end of the 19th century, Agiannites on an excursion to Xerokambi, the seated aristocrats of the time and occupying with their European clothes …. and the … Continue reading“Old Astrinoi and Agiannites # 1 -PH”
From Astros at a distance of about 67 km is the holy monastery of Elona, which as a symbol of Tsakonia is hung and inaccessible on the red rock.
In the route of Astros Leonidio there are many enchanting beaches that “the sun and the sea of the Argolic” are in their greatness.
From Astros Leonidio is at a distance of about 50 km. Argolikos and its enchanting beaches, “as if you were going there”.
The “sun and the sea”, and the many beaches of the Argolic are enchanting. It is no coincidence that the locals out of admiration for the beaches of the Argolic, briefly let the visitor see with his own eyes and draw his own conclusions, “as you go there” you will see and enjoy the magic of nature… .. We do not need to tell you about the beauty of the Argolic. This is what our ancestors used to say about the enchanting beach of Sampatiki, which took its name from the admiration of the locals… “as if you were going there”. There are many enchanting beaches and we will visit them in order.
From the “Mount Parnon and Moustos Wetland Management Agency, 2015. Guide for the protected area of Mount Parnon and Moustos Wetland. Nature, Culture, Ecotourism. Astros of Arcadia “.
The Tsakonian dialect of Leonidio, Pragmatefti, Melana, Tyros, Sapounakeika, Agios Andreas, Prasto, Sitaina, Kastanitsa is spoken. Settlements: Sampatiki, Livadi, Vaskina, Paliochora, Agios Panteleimonas (Bubble), Dernikeika
The Tsakonian dialect
The Tsakonian dialect, the Tsakonian dance, the costume, the customs and traditions of the Tsakonians, are another dynamic of the Parnon area. According to the “Chronicle of Monemvasia”: “And the prefectures and peasants of Thremte were settled in the rugged places adjacent to it, and finally the jaconia were named”. The Tsakones, as true descendants of the Dorians, kept their roots intact and the Tsakonian language is still the living expression of the Doric dialect. In the cradle of Tsakonia, today insists on walking and creating in the footsteps of yesterday in a perpetual and uninterrupted breath of Greece. The special linguistic treasure of our place. The Tsakonian dialect has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List and is recognized as a cultural achievement and a unique treasure trove of culture. The language was preserved genuine and unadulterated in the mouths of ordinary people, peasants, shepherds and farmers. In the wishes, in the greetings, in the curses, in the everyday expressions, in the teasing and the jokes, there is for centuries now the linguistic treasure of the Tsakonians. In this special part of the Greek land called Tsakonia (the cradle of Tsakonia was Prastos, Kastanitsa and Sitaina), in these rugged places, the inhabitants of the area, with few means, not only survived, but left behind a valuable heritage, the Tsakonian tradition, the beautiful language, the unique evocative Tsakonian dance, the Tsakonian songs, the weaving art, their habits, what we call today customs and traditions. All this composes the identity of the place with a living language that is in the hands of the Tsakonians, but also of all Hellenism, to embrace it and protect it from oblivion
The topics that we will try to cover later as best we can are the following.
From the “Mount Parnon and Moustos Wetland Management Agency, 2015. Guide for the protected area of Mount Parnon and Moustos Wetland. Nature, Culture, Ecotourism. Astros of Arcadia “. In Leonidio, the pioneer of weaving was Polyxeni Dounia, the genus Lyonta (1841-1911), wife of Theodoros Ioannis Dounias (1822-1901), who had learned the art in Aydin, Asia … Continue reading“The Tsakonian textile”
The jumpsuit is the traditional women’s costume of the wider area of Tsakonia. In the past, the nobility of Prastos, the first Tsakonian capital, used to wear the jumbe as a sign of economic surface and superior origin. This costume, which was used as a wedding dress, was characterized by Doric simplicity. Free from gold … Continue reading“Tsakonian Costumes”
From the Tsakonia Archive Tsakonian dance is a music and dance event, characterized by spiral and snake formations and is an element-symbol of the cultural identity of Tsakoni. It is a heavy and majestic dance, characterized by the locals as “humble”, “serious”, “strict”, “austere” and “restrained”. It is the dance with which the festivities close, … Continue reading“The Tsakonian dance”
We cite our printed sources. We do not mention the friends from the internet who are the brave “soldiers and guards of Tsakonia”, every day they offer a lot without expecting personal rewards and they do this “all for Tsakonia”. If we are asked in writing we will mention the names of our sources from the internet or if requested in writing we will still download the relevant posts when we verify it. The “Tsakones” page is dedicated to Tsakonia. The users of the website astrosgr.com/en agree with the above when they open the website or otherwise communicate in writing.
On the map above the Byzantine Empire in 555 AD it was at its peak The three maps brilliantly describe the history lessons that are very relevant today ,the war it is not over….. On May 29, 1453, “Black Tuesday” and a frustrating day for the Greek nation, Christianity and Western civilization, “Polis Ealo”, the … Continue reading“On May 29, 1453 “Polis Ealo”, but the war continues today.”
The wealth and success of a country depends on policies that create the potential for a better life. People ultimately lead the effort and write their story that shapes the right environment and prospects for a life full of dignity for all. It is easy to understand today that it is not enough for us … Continue reading“Quality of Life and the Welfare State.”
The native Pelasgians had a golden rule that for millennia until today the inhabitants of Thyrea have faithfully applied, mutual respect, consensus, conciliation and the Greek measure. Thyratis Earth, a relatively small space for millennia until today, has managed to maintain its independence, its uniqueness, its comparative advantages, its characteristics, its culture and to bravely and effectively resist many small and large conquerors and invaders.
Kynouria derives its name from the ancient settler of the area Kynouros, son of Perseus according to the Argeian tradition. The inhabitants of Kynouria were in order Pelasgians, Danaeans, Ionians and Dorians. The Kynourians were Ionians and gave the name of the area after them.
In northern Kynouria, in ancient times it corresponded to the area of Thyreatida land, there was the main settlement of the area Thyrea and secondary Anthini, Nirida, Eva and later at least from the 2nd century AD Astros. The view is supported by historians that the Thyrates came from the Danes. who settled in Argos, the first city in Europe, from 2,800-2,000 BC.
Thucydides, the world’s first historian, and Herodotus, report that Thyreatis Earth (Thyrea) existed 3,000 years ago, with a reference by Herodotus to 1,100 BC.
As for the toponym “Thyrea”, it owes its origin to the fact that the area was the passage or door of communication and transition from the State of Argos to the State of Sparta and vice versa (Thucydides, BD 27). In fact, the natural limit, according to Euripides (El. 410-2), was “Tanaos”, that is, the current torrent Tanos.
The first traces of human presence can be seen with certainty at least from the Neolithic years. Rich finds of this period, as well as of the Bronze Age from the places of Marmaralona (Xerokampos), Koutri (Ano Meligous), Agios Georgios (Meligous), Herronisi (Branch Issue, photo 1), Paralio Island, on the road near Leon Beach in Geraki, illuminate these prehistoric years. The first inhabitants belong to the pre-Hellenic leaves, were the Pelasgians, who lived in Kynouria before the Arcadians in Arcadia and the (early Greek) Danes in Argolida and on the coasts of Kynouria. Then the Ionians settled in Kynouria. The creators of the Mycenaean civilization, the Achaeans, settled in Argolis around 1600 BC. A little later they descended from there to Laconia, while Kynouria was already part of Argeia land. These are also testified by the findings from Herronisi, the Island of Agios Andreas, Elliniko Astros, Kastraki Meligous.
With the descent of the Dorians, who came and occupied the land last, the dispossession of the inhabitants begins. The borders of the three territories meet in the region: the Dorians of Sparta, the Arcadians of Tegea and the Achaeans of Argos. A typical testimony is the findings at the site Fonomenoi tou Ag. Petrou, next to the road to Karyes, where three large stone piles were found which corresponded to the borders of the territories of Argos, Tegea and Sparta and were ancient sanctuaries dedicated to Enodion Hermes.
The area soon became the target of its powerful neighbors, the Spartans, the Argians and the Arcadians / Tegeates. It was mainly the apple of contention between the Spartans and the Argives, as it was located between the two states and had a special geo-strategic position, which resulted in a war (around the end of the 11th century BC according to Herodotus). Geographically, its area is divided into two major sections. The north, which in ancient times corresponded to Thyreatida, with the main settlement of Thyrea and secondary Anthini, Nirida, Eva and Astros, while the south corresponded to the country of Prasia, in which there was the main settlement Prasiai and the secondary , Cheese and Sculpture. Until the 7th c. e.g. Kynouria must maintain its autonomy (resulting from the participation of the Greens in the Amphitryon of Kalavria) despite all thediseases of Argos and Sparta to annex it. However, the area of Prasia must have been more related to Laconia, while the area of Thyreatida to Argolida.
Despite the intense pressure of its neighbors, Kynouria must have remained independent until the time of Argeios Tyrannus Feidonas, when it passed to the rule of Argos, which was then at its peak. After Phaedo, however, Argos gradually began to decline while Sparta was gaining strength. The fate of Kynouria seems to have been finally decided in 546 BC, at the battle of Thyrea (or the battle of the Six Hundred Chosen Ones), when Sparta prevailed over Argos and gained control of Kynouria. In 424 BC. the Athenian fleet reached the shores of Thyreatida, captured it, looted it, set it on fire and destroyed it completely. Kynouria remained Spartan until 338 BC. when Philip II ceded its northern part to the Argives until the Roman period, while the southern region of Prasia and Tire (which was the natural border of ancient Sparta) remained in Sparta.
Wall or Greek and the Shield
At a distance of ten kilometers from today’s Astros, in the area of Teichiou or Elliniko, most probably here was the city of Thyrea, there was a Temple dedicated to the god Apollo which was especially worshiped by the Kynouri. In this place today are the ruins of an ancient city of the 5th to 3rd century BC according to archaeologists. Here you can see the ruins of walls, buildings and underground tanks. .
At a distance of three kilometers from the city of Astros is the area of Ancient Eva, where today are the ruins of the villa of Herodes Atticus that were discovered in excavations carried out there in recent years. In the same excavations were found great and unique findings dating from the 4th BC. century until the 2nd century AD These findings are kept in the Archaeological Museum of Astros.
Next to the Port of Agios Andreas there is the “island of Agios Andreas” where one can see ruins of a cyclopean wall that belong according to the testimonies to the ancient city of Anthini. Parts of the outer precinct with towers of the 5th-4th century are preserved. e.g. Later the city was moved lower to the sea, where Late Roman ruins and additional fortifications from Byzantine times are preserved. Near the castle is preserved half a damaged arched stone bridge.
The historic Astros of Kynouria is located on the west beach of the Argolic, where the above map shows the ancient city of Thyrea, south of the first city in Europe the historic Argos and the seat of the Mycenaean civilization Mycenae
For thousands of years nothing significant happened that we know in the area, “everything was plagued by bullying and slavery.” raiders until 1821.
Roman and Byzantine Period
For the historical route of the area during Roman and Byzantine times, information is scarce, which does not allow the formation of a clear picture. We know that during the period of the settlement of the Slavs in the Peloponnese (6th century onwards) two Slavic tribes – the Milingos and the Ezerites – chose as their place of residence the inaccessible areas of Taygetos and Parnon. During the reign of Emperor Basil I of Macedon (867-866) they also embraced Christianity, like the Greeks of Parnon and Taygetus, and since then they have not occupied History as a separate national entity.
The villages of Parnonas were Christianized around the 9th century and out of excessive respect many added the word Agios to their name, such as Agios Ioannis, Agios Petros, Agios Nikolaos, Agios Andreas, Agios Vassilios, Agios Aomatoi, Agios Panos George, Kosmas and filled the place with churches and monasteries. They also called many sites “holy”. For this reason Parnonas was named the “Holy Mountain” of Southern Greece.
After the 12th century the lowlands were abandoned by the inhabitants and now they live permanently in the mountains to escape the incessant raids, the corsairs and the conquerors.
William Villehardouin to subdue the disobedient Tsakon neighbors in Sitaina, Kastanitsa and Prasto, where the Tsakon were, “up in the mountains” suso en law montanyas, as mentioned in the Chronicle of Morea, built the castle of Ostre location near “Xerokambi”, of Agios Ioannis of Thyreatida.
Today, this mountain castle is considered to be the fortress mentioned in the Aragonese Chronicle of Morea as Estella ((translation of the Greek word Astros) and has become known by the popular name “Castle of the Hour”, which is found in other parts of Greece, due to popular tradition regarding its occupation. Based on this identification and reference to the Aragonese Chronicle, the castle must have been built no later than the 14th century and most likely the 13th.
William Villehardouin also at the same time in 1256 AD, built the castle Estella (Castello de lla estella) in the later called “Island” of Paralio Astros which was later named Castle of Paralio Astros or Zafeiropoulos.
“Kynouria then participates in the common fate of the Peloponnese: it has a first small taste of the Turkish occupation after the Turkish invasion of Moria (1460), it knows the restoration of Venetian rule until 1715 and from then until its liberation struggle 1821 is part of the vast Ottoman Empire. The Turkish occupation, however, failed to completely suspend the economic and intellectual activity of the Kynourians. There is an extraordinary mobility in these areas, which focuses on the comas of Ag. Ioannis, Meligos, Platanos and the surrounding monasteries. “Shortly before the revolution, Astros was revived with the help of fiery men, among whom the Karytsiotai brothers hold a prominent position.”
The Municipality of Thyreas was established by a decree of 9 (21) November 1834/12 May 1835, according to which the first municipalities of Arcadia and Kynouria were established. / 1835 Establishment of the municipality with headquarters in the settlement of Agios Ioannis, Government Gazette 5A – 08/03/1841 The settlement of Astros is defined as the winter seat of the municipality, The settlement of Agios Ioannis is defined as the summer seat of the municipality. In 1836, when the municipalities took their final form, the Municipality of Thyreas included the villages of Agios Ioannis, Astros and Meligou. In 1840 the Municipality of Platanos (Platanos) was merged into the municipality of Thyreas. In 1845 Paralion Astros (Arcadia) Government Gazette 32A – 08/12/1845 and Xiropigado and in 1879 Haradros (then Trestena) were added to the municipality. For many centuries until the 1950s, Agiannis, today’s summer settlement of Astros, was the metropolitan center of Thyrea.
In 1912, the old Municipal system of 1834 was abolished and communities were established. The following communities emerged from the Municipality of Thyreas: Astros, Vervena, Xiropigadou, Paralio Astros, Meligos, Platanos and Haradros.
Municipality of Astros (Arcadia) Government Gazette 99A – 28/05/1985 The municipality came from the recognition in a municipality of the community of Astros
Municipality of North Kynouria
Government Gazette 244A – 04/12/1997 The settlement of Astros is detached from the municipality and the seat of the municipality of North Kynouria is defined The settlement of Agios Ioannis is detached from the municipality and annexed to the municipality of North Kynouria
Municipality of North Kynouria – Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
The Municipality of North Kynouria is a municipality of Arcadia and the Peloponnese Region, which was established in 1997 according to the Administrative Reform of “Kapodistrias” and remained intact in terms of its extent by the later “Kallikratis”. It is located in the eastern part of the Peloponnese and is bathed by the Argolic Gulf. Its population is 10,341 inhabitants and its area is 575.7 sq.km. The seat of the municipality is Astros.
Local Communities Municipality of North Kynouria (boriakinouria.gov.gr)
Agia Sofia, Agios Andreas, Agios Georgios, Agios Petros, Astros, Vervena, Doliana, Elatos, Karatoula, Kastanitsa, Kastri, Korakovouni, Koutroufa, Meligou, Mesorrachi, Nea Chora, Paralio Astros, Perdikovrisi, Xiropigado, Sitaina, Stolos, Haradros, Oria. Also, the municipality includes about 40 small settlements.
Astros and Agios Ioannis (Agiannis)
The Second National Assembly of the Greeks took place in Astros in 1823.
Astros and Agiannis have been for at least eight hundred years and are now a community with the same inhabitants.
The first official reference of the city with the name “Astros” is found in a gold bull of the year 1293 of the emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos. However, the first reference to the name “Astron” corresponds to the Geographer Claudius Ptolemy (2nd century AD).
For many centuries before the revolution of 1821 in different reports and maps the two settlements Astros and Agiannis are mixed, Astros refers to Astros, becomes Agiannis, Kalivia Astros, Agiannitika huts and Agiannis refers to Agiannis, becomes Astros, the Astros, and Agiannis of Astros. It seems that Astros started from Xerokambi and the castle of Oria, Estella, which is located near Agianni, to the castle of Paralio Astros or also Estella, (which is also mentioned in many maps as a castle), and its core was its inhabitants Agianni and today’s Astros and surely the settler of Paralio Astros Agiannitis Akouros agreed with them, who knew his place better than all of us. Thucydides told us, “the inhabitants are the states”, not the states, the cities and the castles.
In 1805, a branch of the Karytsio school was founded in Astrosof Agios Ioannis (1798) (now Archaeological Museum), which was attended by young people from various parts of Greece. Together with the school, Dimitrios Karytsiotis from Agiannitis (1741 – 1819), donated a large area, the so-called Farm Garden.
Astros played an important role in the Revolution, from March 30 to April 18, 1823, in the courtyard of the Karytsiotis school in Astros, the Second National Assembly of the Greeks took place, in which the new revised Constitution of revolutionary Greece was voted. The anniversary of this event is celebrated with special splendor every year on Easter Friday.
The decisions of the National Assembly were very important for the establishment and organization of the Greek State.
The Nation acquired a final Constitution, which by decision of the assembly was “the supreme law”, named “Law of Epidaurus” as a continuation of the first national assembly in Epidaurus, and served the laws of the parliament… By decision of the assembly, the catalytic intervention of Kolokotron , the rage of the people and the army, prevents the sale of the national lands – estates, left behind by the Turkish lords, which were sought and wanted by the Kotzabasids of the assembly.
The assembly voted the famous “Declaration of the NW of the Greek Assembly”, to the World, signed by 128 Plenipotentiaries, including Kolokotronis and the assembly responded with the proclamation, to the world and the elders of the time. “We are determined to become independent, as an autonomous and independent nation.” a little topical today…
The Kolokotronian table in Astros
The Astra tradition brings Kolokotronis to a meal, in 1821 in Astros, at Dimitrios Ypsilantis, the table known as Kolokotroneiko. The meal took place in the garden of Karytsiotis under the telio, which still exists and is dying late, and in the area there is a relevant sign, next to the School of Karytsiotis (now Archaeological Museum of Astros). Tertsetis reports that “Dimitrios Ypsilantis and Kolokotronis collaborated in the shadows of the trees of Astros”. Kolokotronis deliberately, in order to adapt the prince to the Greek reality, said to Dimitrios Ypsilantis at the table, cutting the roast with his own hands “these are the golden forks and the golden knives of Greece” which were his hands… ..
Agios Ioannis (Agiannis)
Agios Ioannis (Agiannis) of Kynouria, was the capital of the Greek state in 1822 and offered many important things to the revolution of 1821. From 1834 to 1912, it was the summer seat of the Municipality of Thyreas, the winter seat was Astros since 1841. In 1845, the village became the seat of Kynouria Province. From this village came Astros, Paralio Astros and other small settlements.
Agios Ioannis is mentioned for the first time in 1435 in the Chronicle of the Fall of Georgios Sfrantzis and probably took its name from the church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos, located at the bottom of the village. From the sigil of 1638 we are informed that Agiannis became a patriarchal exarchate “for the sake of course of the School of Agios Ioannis, operating much older”. According to this passage, a school operated in Agios Ioannis, long before 1638. In Agios Ioannis, there were also “inferior” schools, such as that of Papakyriakos and secret schools, initially in Metochi of the Loukous Monastery, Agios Dimitrios and later in the narthexes of village churches
The Agiannites really never surrendered to the conquerors and as a proof of their way they managed to keep their schools open throughout the Turkish yoke and kept the flame of the nation hidden and openly lit.
Our great benefactor Dimitrios Karytsiotis <1741-1819> was born in Agios Ioannis <Agiannis> and according to the tradition of Agianniti, he left “with a tsarouchi”. and in 1805 he built in Astros the branch of the School of Agios Ioannis. This school operated during the years 1798 – 1826 and gained a great reputation, as in the Karytsiotis School, students from different parts of Greece gathered.
General Panos Zafeiropoulos (Akouros).
The people of Agiannites contributed a lot and significantly to the Greek revolution of 1821 and the most important of all the people of Agiannites was General Panos Zafeiropoulos (Akouros), responsible for military security during the war of the National Assembly in Astros. At the beginning of the revolution, under the leadership of Panos Zafeiropoulos, more than 100 inhabitants of Agiannis, participated in battles of the Dolians and the Bervens, in Tripolitsa and throughout the Peloponnese. Agiannis highlighted other important personalities who played a decisive role in the preparation and during the revolution and helped in the liberation struggle, such as Panos Sarigiannis, Ioannis Zafeiropoulos, Konstantinos Zafeiropoulos and Georgakis Digenis who died in the 18th battle.
From the beginning in 1821, discussions began between the revolutionaries to make Agiannis the capital of the free Greek state. The Karytsiotis school played a primary and decisive role in making Agiannis the capital of revolutionary Greece from August 15 to October 1, 1822. The “government” located very close to the Karytsiotis school of Agiannis was the seat of government. . This period is also confirmed by the Archives of Lazaros and Georgios Kountouriotis (vol. AD, p. 92 ff.).
In 1826 the village was completely destroyed by the hordes of Ibrahim, while the same fate befell other villages in the area, such as Vervena, Prastos and others. Ibrahim completely destroyed the School of Karytsiotis as well as many churches, such as Agios Vassilios, Agios Efstratios, Agios Petros and many others,
The Castle of Paralio Astros or that of Zafeiropoulos
William Villehardouin in 1256 AD, built the castle Estella (Castello de lla estella) on the later called “island” of Paralio Astros. In 1824 Panos Zafeiropoulos the Akouros with his brothers Ioannis and Konstantinos renovated and fortified the ruined castle, in fact he built three fortified houses inside the castle for himself and his brothers and at the same time he started the settlement of Paralio Astros with the Saints his fighters. The Zafeiropoulos brothers are the first inhabitants of Paralio Astros.
At the beginning of August 1826 at the Castle of Paralio Astros the 2,000 Greek fighters led by Panos (Akouros) Zafeiropoulos, will successfully repel the hordes of Ibrahim, who will then chase in the plain of Thyrea, achieving a glorious victory of the Greeks for the Greek Revolution. Ibrahim slaughtered and burned the whole Peloponnese, but he was never able to defeat Akouros, although he had been temporarily captured, not even in the castle of Paralio Astros, someone had to resist… and it is our great honor, this was Agiannitis Panagiotis Zafe Akouros) .. Panos Zafeiropoulos and his brothers, well fortified in the Castle, but also with the help of other fighters put up such strong resistance that they forced him to flee. According to the testimony of Kolokotronis, this Castle remained the only invincible.
The “camp of the Bervens”
It is no coincidence that our ancestors “lived for four hundred and so many years in the abomination and resurrection day”. In world history no nation has resisted for four hundred years and finally victoriously drove out the conquerors.
The historical Bervena in antiquity was inhabited by the Bervenians, an Arcadian genus, while the area of the present village belonged to ancient Arcadia. The oldest relics that have been identified in the area date back to the 2nd millennium BC. and these are stone pickaxes found at Petra. Relics of Artemis from the 9th century BC were found in the place of Panteleimon. until the Hellenistic years. In this place during the 6th c. e.g. an all-marble temple of Doric style was built.
In the revolution of 1821, Vervena played an important role, mainly due to their strategic position. The “Berven camp” was the first organized camp of the struggle, it had about 2,500 fighters (the other three were from Valtetsi, Chrysovitsi and Piana) and one of the most important camps during the first days of the struggle. Here Kolokotronis had set up his headquarters, in the Tower of Augustus, before his attack against the Turks for the conquest of Tripolitsa.
The first organized “Tutorial of the Struggle” also operated in historic Vervena, where the military organization, martial arts and military discipline of the spontaneous revolutionary fighters were taught. The Peloponnesian Senate was also stationed in historic Vervena to coordinate the liberation struggle. In the center of the village, there is the three-storey vaulted tower-residence of the Darveris family, where the first national printing house sent from Trieste, necessary for the organization of the Greek state, was established during the years of the Revolution. On June 21, 1821, Dimitrios Ypsilantis arrived in Vervena from Odessa, Russia, where he was officially welcomed by the Peloponnesian Senate, which is mentioned on the marble plaque, which was hung in 1920 at the reception point.
All the villages of Thyrea, without exception, helped the revolution. The Proestos and Demogerdos of Prastos, in consultation with Kolokotronis and the people of Verveni, Karabela and Kritiko, established in Vervena the famous “Cellar”, ie the chamber of the Army, so that Prastos could supply the army with food in the army. which was attended by many Prastian fighters. Agiopetritis Protestos, Anagnostis Kontakis, writes that: “if it were not for Prastos, who fed the army for 4 months, the struggle for freedom would have been lost”. GeneralThe caretaker was Georgios Trochanis from Agianni.
The Turks after their defeat in Vervena and Doliana were permanently closed in Tripolitsa.
The battle of historic Vervena and historic Doliana on May 18, 1821 thwarted the disbandment of the Berven camp and the plan of the Turks. It also boosted the morale of the revolutionaries and paved the way for the fall of Tripoli.
Undoubtedly, the “camp of the Bervens” played a catalytic importance for the organization and success of the liberation struggle.
The battles at Doliana and Vervena.
In the first major victories of the Greek fighters of 1821 in Valtetsi, Vervena and Doliana, the fate of the liberation struggle was decided and the way was opened for the liberation of enslaved Tripolitsa, which was the most ingenious and grandiose plan of the Elder of Moria, final success of the match. Typically before the battle of Doliana and Vervena, the Greeks said “the Turks are coming” and hid and after the decisive victory they said “where are the Turks” to slaughter them. The “Turkophagus” with his blood-stained sword raised high chased the Turks to Tripolitsa shouting loudly “Where are you going Persians! Stand up to fight! Essentially in historic Vervena and historic Doliana “the armies of Moria were closed” so that we can be free today.
On May 18, 1821, Nikitaras, with only 200 men, heroically confronted the thousands of Mustafabey Turks in Doliana. With reinforcements coming from Vervena, a place also known for another equally large battle that took place earlier that day, the enemy retreated with such heavy losses that Nikitaras has since been called “Turkophagus”.
The victories of the Greeks earlier in Valtetsi, and on May 18, 1821 in Vervena and Doliana were decisive for the spread and establishment of the Struggle in the Peloponnese, and are another great station of the National Uprising. The historic Vervena and the historic Doliana (and the drum of the Turkophagus) are known from the first very important victories in the liberation struggle on May 18, 1821, which at that difficult time filled the rebellious Greeks with the necessary confidence.
Kolokotronis mentions in his memoirs: “The horde of Berbens touched them closely. “After weighing near Doliana, the Turks also besieged Nikitas, and so Nikitas and his men came out, and took them down to the plain, hunting.”
The liberation of the nation is not donated but is won on the battlefields with the blood of our heroic ancestors who practically did their patriotic duty. Unfortunately in Dragouni on May 18, 1821, the Turks with the superiority of the cavalry defeated the Greeks and there the Agiannitis chief Panos Zafeiropoulos Georgakis Digenis and Agiannites fighters were killed. Panos (Akouros) Zafeiropoulos participated in the battle of Vervena.
Agios Petros is mentioned for the first time in 1435 in the Chronicle of the Fall of Georgios Sfrantzis. In the following years the village is mentioned in various documents of the time. Around 1600 in the village was born Agios Nilos the Myrovlitis (according to the world Nikolaos Terzakis, † 1651), who consecrated in the Monastery of Malevi and later on Mount Athos. During the Venetian period, in 1687, Agios Petros became the seat of the Province of Agios Petros Tsakonia (Territorio di San Pietro di Zacognia). At the same time (18th century) the village experienced great growth due to trade, with a population then almost 4,000 inhabitants and many mansions – tower houses.
During the Turkish occupation, Agios Petros became the seat of the Vilayet of Agios Petros, which included Kastri, Agios Ioannis, Platanos, Meligos, Haradros, Astros, Korakovouni, Prastos, Sitaina, Kastanitsa, V Doliana et al. After 1775, the thieves Giannis Karabelas, Antonakis Alevizos, fought and resisted against the Turkalvans. In 1786 these two thieves, in collaboration with Captain Zacharias and other Agiopetrites, fought the Turks in the Monastery of Malevi.
“The prostitute Anagnostis Kondakis initiated in the Friendly Society half of the Peloponnese”.
With the founding of the Friendly Society, in 1814, several Agiopetrites began to participate, including the prostitute Anagnostis Kondakis, the abbot of the Monastery of Malevi, Kallinikos Tsiamouris and others. The contribution of the village to the Revolution of 1821 was important. On March 24, 1821, Anagnostis Kondakis proclaims the Revolution in the area. Several Agiopetrites, under Anagnostis Kondakis, participated with great success in the battles of Doliana and Vervena, Tripolitsa, Valtetsi, etc., in collaboration with the other military corps of Kynouria. In 1826 Ibrahim Pasha completely destroyed the village, as well as all the other villages.of the area. In the following years Agios Petros became the seat of the Community of Agios Petros. In 1944, during the German occupation, 48 German civilians were executed by the Germans.
In all the national liberation struggles that followed until the modern era, the region paid the bravery of its inhabitants with a heavy blood tax (a typical example is the execution of the inhabitants of St. Peter during the German occupation).
Platanos is a village, which is located amphitheatrically built on the slopes of Mount Parnonas. Administratively it belongs to the Municipality of North Kynouria in the Prefecture of Arcadia.
Platanos is mentioned for the first time in the Chronicle of the Fall of Georgios Sfrantzis in 1435, with the name Platamonas. In the following years, he refers to several documents during the Venetian period. Before and during the Second Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries) the village flourished, along with other neighboring villages. At the same time, several mansions and tower houses were built. The contribution of the village was important during the Revolution of 1821. In 1826, Ibrahim passed through the village but the inhabitants were saved because they hid in a cave on the opposite hill which the inhabitants still call “troupa”. There is an oven and a cistern inside.
After the liberation, it became the seat of the municipality of Platanos, while in the following years, after its merger with the Municipality of Thyreas, it became the seat of the homonymous community.
Orini Meligou is mentioned for the first time in the Chronicle of Moreos by Georgios Sfrantzis in the year 1435 with the name Meligou. The name “Meligou” is of Slavic origin and comes from the tribe of Milingos (or Melingos), who together with the Ezerites settled in the 9th century. in Parnonas, leaving many place names. In the 17th and 18th c. Meligou developed and became one of the richest and most powerful villages in the area along with Agios Ioannis, Agios Petros, Platanos and others. Meligou’s contribution to the Revolution of 1821 was important, as many Meligiotes participated in various battles such as the Bervens, the Dolians, the Tripolitsakas. In 1826, Orini Meligou was completely destroyed by the armies of Ibrahim Pasha, while other villages in the area had the same fate. After the liberation, Meligou became part of the Municipality of Thyreas (based in Agios Ioannis and Astros), while its inhabitants settled permanently in Meliggiotika Kalivia (today’s Winter of Meligou, Arcadia).
In Meligou there is a bust of Kolokotronis, who had camped with the other fighters during the Second National Assembly of the Greeks in Astros, Kynouria.
The “political wisdom” of General Theodoros Kolokotronis played a catalytic importance in order to maintain the necessary “national reconciliation and national unity” at that time. The old man of Moria accepted “what was decided” by the assembly, even his dismissal by a general, who had won on the battlefields by the fighters, as in the destruction of Dramalis in Dervenakia, which undoubtedly played a catalytic role in the victorious course of the liberation match.
The old man of Moria considered it necessary to say things by name, and warned the “tsoglani” Alexandros Mavrokordatos, as the fighters called him.
“I tell you this, Mr. Mavrokordate; do not sit president because I come and drive you away with the lemons, with the veda where you came”
Kotzambasism, the “collaborators” of the authorities and the “janissaries” are a Turkish curse and the worst plague and plague of the Greek Nation.
The old man of Moria earlier in Vervena on June 21, 1821 and in Zarakova on July 4, 1821, literally saved the Senators Kotzabasides from ransom from the rage of the fighters and the people. Typically said to the furious crowd you must kill me first.
Also in Meligou, the old man of Moria rejected the proposals of the chiefs Plapoutas and Androutsos to slaughter the Kotzabasides gathered in Astros from all over the territory, he did not want Greek blood to be shed. Typically he told Adroutsos. “Well, what did you do to the people, to slaughter them?” “These politicians know such tricks in political things that are useful to us, as we are more useful in war.”
His target at that time was the Turkish conquerors, who were robbing and committing acts of violence against the people, they were being fought by the old man of Moria. He did not fight for himself, nor for chairs and headquarters, nor for the Kotzabasids, because they were comfortable and enjoyed the robberies, taxes and looting that they did as good collaborators of the conquerors.
After the liberation from the Turkish conquerors, when he was chained together with Plapoutas, by the same Kotzabasids who are always near where there are spoons, Plapoutas reminded him of their conversations in Meligou, but the old man of Morias pointed out to him, “the Greeksthey were free and that was the most important thing. “
The well-known Filikos Georgios Leventis was born in 1790 in Korakovouni (located 7 km south of Astros). Georgios Leventis together with the other Arkadas Panagiotis Sekeris were the main sponsors of the great cause of the Friendly Society.
Mountainous Korakovouni is a mountainous settlement, built at an altitude of 534 m. It is 12 km from Korakovounika and 22 km from Astros. The village belongs administratively to the Municipality of North Kynouria and has a population of 8 permanent residents according to the 2011 census
The village, according to tradition, was founded after the destruction of Paleo Korakovouni (a settlement that existed near Prastos) by Turkish troops in 1687.  Along with Paleo Korakovouni, Agios Ioannis, Meligou, Kastanitsa and Prastos were also destroyed. After the destruction of the village, the inhabitants founded a new village in the place where today is Mount Korakovouni. During the years of Ottoman rule the settlement belonged to the Vilaeti of Agios Petros. According to a Venetian census of 1699, the village had two churches: Agios Dimitrios and Panagia, as well as two vicars.  In the 18th and 19th the Korakovounites developed trade relations with various areas, as the Korakovounites lived and traded in places such as Spetses, Hydra, Constantinople, Odessa etc.
During the years 1750 – 1775 in the village acted the thief George Leventis (grandfather of the friend), who was the first son of Konstantis Kolokotronis.  With the founding of the Friendly Society, many Korakovounites became members, most importantly the merchant George Leventis (1790 – 1847). The contribution of the Korakovounites to the Revolution of 1821 was significant, as more than 100 fighters were distinguished in the battles of Doliana, Vervena, Tripolitsak.a. In 1826 the village was completely destroyed by the hordes of Ibrahim Pasha. After the liberation, the village was subordinated to the Municipality of Vrasia (1834 – 1912). From Korakovouni came the Winter Korakovouni, which was created during the 18th century. and is a permanent residence of the Korakovounites.
Beautiful Village, named after the complex of seven Kastritochorion, as the largest village in the area until 1960. The other villages are Messorachi, Perdikovrisi, Nea Chora, Karatoulas, Oria and Elatos. 25 Kilometers from Tripoli, it is located at an altitude of 950 meters and is a traditional mountain village that combines tranquility and leisure opportunities, such as walks, the discovery of mountain nature and the gorges of Parnon but also offers the possibility of religious ascension as northeast of the village is a one of the most picturesque monasteries, of Timios Prodromos. It has a tourist infrastructure with rooms for rent and many taverns for food. The visitor can get to know the popular culture through shrines, watermills, threshing floors and traditional fountains that are still preserved today and explore the environment and nature of Parnon through the Environmental Education Center that operates in the square. For those who are enchanted by unique routes in nature, from the village begins a road that ends through Vourvouron and Karya in the national Tripoli-Sparta. Captain Zacharias Varvitsiotis acted in Kastri with a great participation in the struggle of 1821.
Kastritochoria Kastritochoria, centered on Kastri-Agios Nikolaos, are located on a verdant and complex in terms of flora slope of Parnon. Magnificent natural landscape and beautiful settlements that create a separate unit of seven villages, Kastri, Elatos, Karatoulas, Mesorrachi, Nea Chora, Perdikovrisi and Oria. The oral tradition states that the seven settlements were created by inhabitants of the coastal area of Thyrea, near Astros, who, in order to escape the raids of the enemies, coming from the sea, proceeded to the mountainous areas, mainly following its riverbed. Tanos river and its tributaries. These first settlers were followed by other Thyrates who were scattered in the settlements of Kastri and thus their population increased. During the Turkish occupation, the Kastritochoria actively participated in the revolution of 1821. After the liberation from the Turks, when with a decree of 1834/5 the Municipalities of the Prefecture of Arcadia were formed, the Municipality of Tania was created, which included the Kastritochoria. In 1912 the Municipality of Tania was abolished and communities were established in the area. In the years that followed, the population almost doubled until the war of 1940, when it began to decline due to the blood tax on the Germans, the civil war and later internal and external immigration.
In the area of Tsakonia, Prastos, Agios Andreas, Kastanitsa, Sitaina and of course in the neighboring Municipality of South Kynouria Leonidio, Tyros and other villages, the Tsakonian dialect is still used today, which has its roots in ancient Doric ”. “Tsakonika is theoldest living language in Greece.
In this special part of the Greek land called Tsakonia (the cradle of Tsakonia was Prastos, Kastanitsa and Sitaina), in these rugged places, the inhabitants of the area, with few means, not only survived, but left behind a valuable heritage, the Tsakonian tradition, the beautiful language, the unique evocative Tsakonian dance, the Tsakonian songs, the weaving art, their habits, what we call today customs and traditions. All this composes the identity of the place with a living language that is in the hands of the Tsakonians, but also of all Hellenism, to embrace it and protect it from oblivion
“Kaur made the country of namos” that is “Welcome to our village”
“And for history, for the Tsakonians, he first speaks in the 9th century AD. the emperor of Byzantium Constantine the Purple-Born. Around 1000 AD. the Tsakonians left over from the great Slavic invasions began their peaceful work, necessary for their survival. A few years later – in 1293 AD – the first Tsakonochori, Kastanitsa, made its official written appearance. “
Kastanitsa, perched on the slopes of Mount Parnon, at 840 m., Is the oldest Tsakonochori, with a history of more than seven centuries and one of the oldest mountain villages of Kynouria (s.s. belongs to the municipality of North Kynouria). Characterized since 1967 by the Ministry of Culture by Presidential Decree, a traditional – preserved settlement with special natural and architectural beauty, built on a narrow hill, stands out with its tower houses, painted white, with roofs of local slate Malevos and wood with bright colors on the doors and windows and flowered courtyards.
In a golden bull Imperial Byzantine decree, of the year 1293, there is a written reference to Kastanitsa. This is the oldest written reference to a specific village. Kastanitsa, too, contributed to the fight. Known for the victorious battle against the army of Ibrahim and the chief “Kapsabelis” whose name has been given to one of the squares of the village. Today, almost all the Tower Houses survive and part of the old three-storey Kapsabelis Tower, which was destroyed in the civil war. Of special value is the wood-carved and gilded iconostasis of the Transfiguration of the Savior, a gift from the Empress of Russia Catherine.
Prastos is mentioned for the first time in a gold bullion of the emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos in 1293 with the name Proastion. It succeeded the ancient city of Orion, as it became the seat of the Diocese of Reontos Prastos, thus becoming the largest Tsakonochori. He gained great power and wealth during the Second Ottoman Empire (18th & early 19th century). At that time it is estimated that Prastos had a population of over 6,000 people, 30 churches, 9 parishes, 3 monasteries, 2 castles and several mansions – tower houses. People traveled to Spetses, Hydra, Istanbul and other places and acquired large fortunes.
In 1819, Prastos was separated from the Vilaeti of Agios Petros and became the capital of the Vilaeti of Prastos. This vilayet also included Kastanitsa, Sitaina, today’s Agios Andreas, Korakovouni, the area of Tyros, up to Leonidio.
During the years of Ottoman rule, the historic Prastos, seat of the diocese of Prastos and Reontos, capital of Tsakonia, with more than 3,500 inhabitants engaged in trade, contributed much to the liberation struggle until it was destroyed, in 1826 by Ibrahim who set it on fire. thus its economic and population flourishing ceased. Today there are ruins of Reontos and Prastos. Some Byzantine churches. Tower houses and a multitude of ruins that show its former prosperity.
During the pre-revolutionary years, the well-known thief and captain of Captain Zacharias, Dimitrios Kaliontzis, was born in Sitaina. The contribution of the village was also important during the Revolution of 1821, as 150 Sitainiotes joined various corps, with great success. In 1826 Ibrahim Pasha completely destroyed the village, as well as all the other villages of Kynouria. According to tradition, the villagers took refuge in the cave of Zaggoli.
• I. Kouskouna, K. Hasapogianni, I. Kakavoulia – Thyreatis Gi, Athens 1981, Angeliki & Leonida Zafeiri Memorial Foundation
• Nikolaou Flouda – Thyreatika volume B ‘: Astros, the golden gem, the historian 1983
• Nikolaou Flouda – Thyreatika, volume C ‘: Agios Ioannis, metropolis of Thyreas settlements, Athens 1983
• Nikolaou Flouda – Two hundred years of the School of Agios Ioannis Astros Kynouria, Athens 1965
• Ioannis M. Arvanitis – From the Sources of our People, volume A, NW
• Smaragdis I. Arvanitis – The schools of Dimitrios Karytsiotis in Agios Ioannis and Astros Thyreas – Kynourias during the pre-revolutionary years until the liberation, Company PHellenic Studies, Athens 2001
• Smaragdis I. Arvanitis – 2nd National Assembly of the Stars By Arkades Esmen
• Smaragdis I. Arvanitis – The Second National Assembly of the Greeks in Astros by arkadia press
• Smaragdis I. Arvaniti Agios Ioannis Kynourias, From Arkades Esmen
• Smaragdis I. Arvanitis – Studies of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Archeology and Art in honor of Professor Eleni Deligianni-Dori. The post-Byzantine church of Agios Georgios in Agios Ioannis Kynourias brief presentation of the monument and the iconographic program, Athens 2010
• Smaragdis I. Arvanitis – The castle of Paralio Astros Kynouria first remarks, Athens 2007
astros-kynourianews.gr – News website / Media
Municipality of North Kynouria (boriakinouria.gov.gr)
For visitors, Kynouria has a number of activities depending on the mood and… physical endurance! Of course in summer the beaches of the area are full of life and invite the visitor to enjoy them. Portes, Atsiganos, Anavalos, Xiropigado, Heronissi, Arkadiko village and Kryoneri, are just some of the options we suggest! Those who wish to explore the beautiful waters of the area, can dive in the Arcadian village, Xiropigado and Paralio Astros.
For adventure lovers there is the possibility of canyoning in the Lepida gorge where the impressive waterfalls dominate, as well as downhill programs by experienced groups in the area of Parnonas. Also, every year a cycling tour, triathlon (with the possibility of participating in running, cycling and swimming competitions) as well as beach volleyball tournaments in Astros are organized. Interesting are the hiking tours on the paths of Parnon and on routes such as Herod Atticus – Loukos – Elliniko Villa, as well as the visit to places of incomparable natural beauty such as the wetland of Lake Moustos, the cedar forest of Malegos Monastery and Kougpos the waterfalls of Lepida and Nymphs.
During the summer months mainly, many cultural events take place. An exceptional event is the day of Psaria or Trata and the Nautical Week which take place in rotation either in Paralio Astros or in Leonidio. We must make a special mention of the events of the Zafeiris Foundation in Astros, which range from film festivals of interest to theatrical and musical performances, but also of the rich cultural summer of Astros with concerts and performances. In Kastanitsa, every last weekend, every October, the chestnut festival is organized, which was established in 1983 and since then has been a pole of attraction for thousands of visitors. In the village of Platanos are organized in August the feasts of Waters, Moons and Loves while the Feast of the Cherry is also important which is organized at the end of each May. The anniversary of the 2nd National Assembly is celebrated with special splendor every year on the first Friday after Easter in Astros. A carnival with a parade of chariots and carnival groups is organized every year on Halloween in Agios Andreas, while a well-known custom is the celebration of Easter with balloons. At the end of June or the beginning of July, the Cultural Association organizes the cultural events “Herodeia” at the archeological site of Eva, while at the end of May the representation of the historic victorious battle against the Turks takes place. In Agios Petros during the second fortnight of August take place the “Tania”, cultural events with many exhibitions, tributes and music nights.
Also, many festivals are organized in religious festivals inviting locals and foreigners to celebration and dance (Astros: three-day festival (of the Ascension), Ano Vervena and Platanos: July 25 (Agia Anna), Kastanitsa: 5-6 August (Metamos) traditional municipal festival in Prastos: September 5-6, Agios Andreas: May 21 (for the patrons Agios Konstantinos and Agia Eleni), Korakovouni: February 10 (Agios Charalambos), Meligou: January 7 (Agios Ioannis Prodromos), Agios Petros : June 29 (for the Patron Saint St.) May 7 (St. Nile) and near the area on July 20 on the plateau of Parnon (Prophet Elias), Kastri: May 8 (St. Nicholas) and July 27 (St. Panteleimon) ).
Finally, for visitors with religious and pilgrimage tourism interests in the area, there are many monasteries worth visiting (Holy Monastery of Panagia Malevi, Panagia Orthokosta (Artokosta), Loukos Monastery, Timiou Prodromou Monastery, etc.).
The happiness of people and the purpose of life are the great issues of philosophy that have been discussed endlessly for millennia. To date, people have not actually agreed on something they really want and do not know how to get. We will borrow the views of great thinkers that people know but strangely do … Continue reading““Happy are the free and free are the brave.””
Briefly, among other things, we have submitted the following to the Ministry of Culture. With the YPPOT / DAVMM / 91790 2329 BC-12-01-2011 decision was approved the “Study for the Removal of the Archaeological Museum of Astros with conditions (ΑΔΑ-4Α9Γ-99) and on 22-04-2013 the Programmatic Cultural Development Contract was signed for the execution of the … Continue reading“The trap of studying the pretext of static adequacy.”
Five questions for our Mayor, our deputy mayors, the members of the Board of our municipality, our fellow citizens, the Secretary General of Culture of the Ministry of Culture (not his subordinates, mercy now) AND THE COMMON MIND. 1) What should we do today as a society for the following official decision of EFARC. “In … Continue reading“We must one day say it all “in writing, openly and publicly””