Agios Ioannis (Agiannis) of Kynouria, was the capital of the Greek state in 1822 and offered many and important things in the revolution of 1821.
Let’s go for a walk to get to know the sights of Agios Ioannis (Agianni) Kynouria. We will walk slowly to the village and we will see all the sights in a row. Later where we have material we will add links that will lead to details. We have a lot to see around Agiannis
1)In the first photo we can see a partial view of Agiannis from Kalogerovouni.
2)Our walk begins with the founding inscription of the Karytsiotis School of Agiannis. «1798 IN MONTH JULY 18 THE SCHOOL TO PHILOTHEAMON. WHY DID YOU GET BURIED FRIEND FILOTHEAMON WITH A QUESTION SECRET YOU ASK MY NAME……………..
Pre-revolutionary Greece had many small “hidden” and few open schools. One of the few obvious schools was the famous Karytsiotis School that was built in 1798, 23 years before the Greek revolution and this is of great importance. It was built on the hill Koutri of Agiannis Kynourias and was one of the few “universities” of our pre-revolutionary homeland and its students were from all over mainland Greece and our islands. Our great benefactor Dimitrios Karytsiotis (1741 – 1819), a powerful Agiannitis patriot of the Diaspora, found a way to allow the 400-year-old Turkish conquerors to acquire and operate the school in Agiannis and in the branch of the Karytsiotis school in Astros, which in 1805.
3) The “government” located very close to the Karytsiotis school of Agiannis was the seat of government The Karytsiotis school played a primary and decisive role in making Agiannis the capital of revolutionary Greece from 15 August to 1 October 1822. The “government” located very close to the Karytsiotis school of Agiannis was the seat of government. under the windows.
4) The mansion of Zafeiropoules in Agiannis The above mansion of Zafeiropouloi is located just above the source Soulinari, at the bottom of the village and is just below the school Karytsioti. After the πριν before the.’S burning of the school by Ibrahim in 1826, Panos Zafeiropoulos and Akouros here initially transported the 1500 books of the Karytsiotis school here, before transferring them permanently to the castle of Paralio Astros for better preservation
5) The famous traditional spring Soulinari Agiannis was the capital of Greece under the Provisional Government of the Revolution, from August 15 to October 1, and the neighborhood of Soulinari was the metropolis of Agiannis. specifically in the place of Matthew and near the source Soulinari.
6)” According to the historian Nikolaos I. Floudas “The mansion of the Kourogiorgas – Fourliga family in Agios Ioannis. It is located in the place “Elagos – Agios Vassilios”, near the source Soulinari. The lower school of the village was housed here during the Turkish occupation
7)”According to the historian Nikolaos I. Floudas, who saved the relevant Agianniti tradition, after the burning of the Karytsiotis School by Ibrahim Pasha, the students were taught in the basement of this mansion as well as in the neighboring mansion of Fourligas” (Grigori)\
8) The mansion of Panos Sarigiannis as it was in the 1960s. Panos Sarigiannis was one of the pworkers of the Revolution in the Peloponnese from a very early age. In 1820 he was initiated into the Friendly Society by Agiopetritis Protestant Anagnostis Kondakis, in Constantinople,
9) The old primary school of Agiannis
10) Students in front of the primary school in 1958 The photo was taken in front of the old primary school of Agiannis in 1958 by our fellow photographer and barber Thanasis Koutivas. Our late teacher Leonidas Kolovos can be seen with most of the students of the school, some of whom were absent that day.\
11) The famous traditional source Pigadaki. “On March 13, 1742, the Pigadaki spring was erected, a little above Prodromos, in the settlement of Hasapogianneika. The source was built according to the founding inscription, which is written in Arabic,
12) The mansion of Tsakonas with the scalpel was acquired in the 15th century. This mansion is located in Koufovouno, just above the church of Prodromos.It is a building of the 14th – 15th century, according to the testimony of the owner Ioannis Harbalis. So we understand that it is probably the oldest house in our village. The scalpel can be seen at the end of the building on the left under the two windows,
13) Tsakonas’ scalpel can be seen.
14) The church of Agios Ioannis the Forerunner. Agiannis took its name from the picturesque church of Agios Ioannis the Forerunner. The visitor admires the centuries-old plane tree and the abundant icy water that springs just below the church and flows through five canals, one is very low, as if the water seems to come through the church.
15) The church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos, the tiles on the roof can be seen, as they had before we discovered the tiles ..
16) The source of Prodromos, the abundant water is like coming out of the church. The majestic church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos in Agiannis was renovated and became a patriarchal exarchate in 1638. Plenty of icy water springs just below the church. Just as the water flows through five canals, one is very low, as if the water seems to be coming through the church.
17) The cistern of the forerunner and the plane tree
18) The sougelos of the water, the water was transported away to irrigate the “pergolas” and to live the people of Agiannites for many centuries ,,
19) The mansion of Kotzabasi, an associate of the Turks Anagnostis Papazoglou, who was feared not only by the Greeks but also by the Turks of the Peloponnese.
20) We go up the paved road in the village square where the historic church of Ai Giorgis is located with the big bell in the plane tree, which broke strangely ..?. The church of Ai Giorgis, post-Byzantine, with a holographic interior. The murals are probably works of the Agiannitis priest and painter Georgios Koulidas The old photo from the website Thyreatis Gi .
21) Old photo of a lot of people in the village squarefrom the website Thyreatis Gi. LATE 19TH PRINCIPLES OF THE 20TH CENTURY.
22) We went up to Lakka at the top of the village, an old photo from Lakka of the village. Agiannis is advertised for its beautiful mountain climate that renews and invigorates its inhabitants and visitors, has many natural beauties and is only half an hour away from the beach of the Stars.
23) From Lakka we gaze at the village, the new technologies begin…. and evolution ..
24) The church of Panagia in Lakka. The church of Panagia in Lakka, at the top of the village with a nice view, in Lakka, the second square, where the church of Panagia is located, built by the brothers M. Papoulias (or Touris) on the foundations of an older one destroyed by Ibrahim. From this point one can admire almost the whole village, the wild beauty of the surrounding mountains and the lively green. the church has been recently renovated .. we thank the friends of Agiannis.
25) From Lakka we gaze at the new village, many new tiles, and Kalogerovouni opposite.
26) The new… many new ίζουν The Guesthouse of “Founta
27) The famous tavern of “Karamantzanis in Lakka, wonderful view. does not appear in this photo, we will find another one later ..
28) We said new…. stone houses
29) Picturesque new houses for rent
30) The Platanas cafe in the square of the village of Agianni
31) From the village square
32) The cafe “To koutri” is located next to the founding plate of the school Karytsioti, on Koutri small hill as we enter the village from Astros was built the famous school Karytsioti.
35)The school in Agiannis was a marble and spectacular historical monument, burned by Ibrahim in 1826, the photo shows the annex of the school of Agiannis in Astros, acquired in 1805, which now houses the Archaeological Museum of Astros next to the neighboring “The Holy Shrine” 2nd National Assembly of the Greeks, this place is modest and imposing, it is a “museum” in itself (distance 17 km)
Back to the home page astrosgr.com/en
astrosgr.com “Αφιερώνεται στη Θυρεάτιδα Γή.
astrosgr.com/en Dedicated to Thyreatis Land.”
Συνεργάτες Astros Kynouria News