Before the recent health crisis in 2019, thirty-four million visitors came to our country and the number is increasing every year. We had a 62% increase in ten years (in 2010 it was 21 million, in 2006 it was 14 million). Most of us visit for our rich history and basically to enjoy the “sun and the sea in the Aegean islands” and to see our most important archeological sites.
The Most Important Archaeological Sites and Museums in our country are:
1) The Parthenon and the Acropolis
2) The Acropolis Museum
5) The theater of Epidaurus
Undoubtedly there are many other places, which we will mention later.
In the ancient Greek world “the center of the world” was Delphi. The historic Astros of Kynouria is not the center of the world, but it is close to everything. From Astros you can make day trips to the most important archeological sites we have in our homeland, which one day we must all visit to get to know the ancient Greek world.
Personally, every year I visit “the three most important wonders of our homeland”, the prison of Kolokotronis in Palamidi (Nafplio), the Parthenon and the Argolikos in Astros on the beach “portes”….
Important Archaeological Sites and Museums for day trips, distances from Astros.
1) Nafplio 33 km, Palamidi and Bourtzi 33 km, Epidavros 70 km
2) Argos 34 km ,, Tiryns 33 km. Mycenae 43 km, Corinth 93 km, Loutraki 100 km
3) Arkadiko Chorio 15 km, Leonidio 48 km, Holy Monastery of Panagia Elonas 65km
4) Tripoli- Kalamata – Koroni 155 km Methoni 186 km,, – Navarino- Pyrgos, Ancient Olympia <no crown 170 km, <from Koroni 306 km> The church of Agia Theodora in Vasta (93 km).
5) Tripoli – Sparta 82 km, Mystras 88 km, Monemvasia 170,
6) Patras from Corinth 219 km (and from Tripoli-Olympia 296 km),
7) Athens 170 km <Parthenon, Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum>
8) Delphi, the center of the ancient Greek world <288 km>
9) Mystras 88 km,
See the links below for details.
Sources: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and as mentioned in the links.
1) Palamidi in Nafplio and Bourtzi in Nafplio
4) The Epidaurus Theater famous for its unique acoustics, the breaths are also heard
7) The Acropolis
8) The Acropolis Museum
See the link