Our castles: Estella Castle (in Agiannis) and Paralio Astros Castle

The Estella castle in Agiannis was built in 1256 by William Villardouinos to subjugate the unruly neighbors of the Tsakones in Sitaina, Kastanitsa and Prastos, where the Tsakones were, “up in the mountains” suso en law montanyas, as stated in the Chronicle of Moreos.

“Castle Estella (in Agiannis), The monument is protected by the Archaeological Law 3028/2002

Castle Paralio Astros , the castle is protected by YA-YPPOT/GDAPC/ARCH/A1/Φ43/41015/2009/8-6-2012, Gazette 196/AAP/13-6-2012″

Reading our history we found interesting topics about our castles, from literature suggested to us by the Ministry of Culture, and we want to share with our readers who are interested in historical topics and those who “read our history”.

Castle Paralio Astros

It is interesting that the Estella castle in Agiannis was also called Astros (Castle, Acropolis Astros) and Agiannis was also called Agiannis Astros, Epano Astros, Oreno Astros, Astros and Agiannitika Kalyvia and Astros was called Agiannis, Kalyvia Astros , Agiannitika Kalyvia .

We also found interesting reading about the castles, the Zafiropoulos are mentioned by historians as being the first inhabitants of Paralio Astros , in 1824-1825 they built houses in the Castle Paralio Astros and renovated the castle. Also the first construction phase of the castle is located in the period between the 17th c. and the end of the 18th century and of course the second building period can be traced from 1824 and 1825 with Akuros.

 Astros: Historical Review

With the first administrative division of the Greek state in 1835, Astros joined the Municipality of Thyrea with its seat in the settlement of Agios Ioannis (Government Gazette 16A – 24/05/1835). From 1841 to 1912, Astros was the winter seat of the Municipality of Thyrea, Agiannis was the summer headquarters {Government Gazette 5A – 08/03/1841). Since 1912, the settlement has been the seat of the Astros community, which evolved into the Municipality of Astros in 1985 (Government Gazette 99A – 28/05/1985). Since 1998, Astros has been the seat of the Municipality of North Kynouria (Government Gazette 244A – 04/12/1997).

Paralion Astros (Arkadias) Gazette 32A – 08/12/1845 The settlement was annexed to the municipality of Thyrea Gazette 252A – 24/08/1912. The settlement is detached from the municipality of Thyrea and designated as the seat of the community of Paralio Astros

From the village of Agios Ioannis came Astros, Paralio Astros, as well as other settlements.

The first official mention of the city with the name “Astros” can be found in a chrysobull of the year 1293 of the emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos. However, the first mention of the name “Astron” comes from the geographer Claudius Ptolemy (2nd century AD). Nikos Veis (1883–1958), University professor and Academician, states that “we have repeated mentions of this Kynourian city” of Astros in 1320, 1372, 1374, 1407, 1421, 1435, 1463, 1467, 1471, 1481. The C . Tercetis mentions “Dimitrios Ypsilantis and Kolokotronis were eating in the shade of the Astros trees”. , and from there, after having lunch in the arches of Agios Petros, we arrived at Verbena”. The Assembly, following the standards of the Constitutions of the French Revolution of 1789 AD, drew up the “Declaration of the Second Greek Assembly” signed by 128 Plenipotentiaries, including Kolokotronis, “Issued in Astrei inside the Karytsiotis Museum “, says the proclamation of the National Assembly.

Astros and Agiannis are a community and most importantly the residents are the same, they had and still have houses in Agiannis and Astros. Most of the residents share flats with Astros. During the winter months, many people stay for the weekends and during the summer months the village is full of life.

Near Agiannis at the location “Xerokambi” (2 km), Estella Castle is located, on a steep hill like a “natural pyramid”, between the villages of Agios Ioannis and Agios Petros, it is also known as the castle of Oria or the castle at Xerokambi. This mountainous castle is considered to be the fortress mentioned in the Aragonese Chronicle of Moreos as Estella (translation of the Greek word Astros). The Estella castle was built in 1256 by William Villardouinos to subjugate the unruly neighbors of the Tsakones in Sitaina, Kastanitsa and Prastos, where the Tsakones were, “up in the mountains” suso en law montanyas, as stated in the Chronicle of Moreos. The distinguished historical scholars Nikos Veis, Sp. Lambros, K. Romaios and Adam. Adamantiu convincingly placed the Estella castle of the Aragonese Chronicle of Moreos, in Xerokambi between the villages of Agios Ioannis and Agios Petros.

In the area there were ancient cities such as Thyrea, Anthini, Niriida and Eva where the well-known Mansion of Herod of Atticus is located.

The castle Estella in Agiannis, stands out like a distant star “up in the mountains” suso en law montanyas, as mentioned in the Chronicle of Moreos. In the background straight Argolikos and in the center on the small hill is the “island” which is the Castle Paralio Astros. The photos from our friend and neighbor in the old “metropolis of Agiannis Soulinari” Thodoros Maglis.

Sources with brief relevant texts.

Niko A. Vei, Mniai tou Astros The toponym “Aria”

(Nikos Veis (1883; – 1958) was a Byzantine historian and neo-Hellenist, University professor and Academic).

“And already in the Aragon version of the Chronicle of Moreos it is mentioned that the prince of Moreos William Willardouinos built, in 1256, the castle, called la Estella, in order to more easily subjugate the Tsakonas” I quote…. Et le princep por mellor señorear los fizo alli un castiello suso en las montanyas, el qual se clama la Estella (p.93″

“Whence the castiello la Estella (=Astros) we must seek in the interior of Kynouria “suso en las montanyas”,

“And indeed Astros was also bilateral in medieval times… the inhabitants of the so-called Kalyvia Astros (or Agiannitika) are forced by the marsh fevers to go up to Agios Ioannis. … Agios Ioannis first had a status as a summer residence of the Astrinoi called (above) Astros and Agiannis Astrous, and later it became an independent village, when after the Alosin of Vasilevousis…And exactly on a single mountain above Agios Ioannis (=Epano Astrous ) lies … the Castle of Oria … In my opinion, after the above explanations, we can probably identify the Castle of Oria of Parnonos with Estella = Astros. (p. 99-100)

Astros central tower (Castle Estella in Agiannis)

Anastasios I. Ballas, Peloponnesian, Volume CG of the Society of Peloponnesian Studies, Prize of the Academy of Athens

Astros (p.209-210 Astros Castle)

“This important fortification is the Estella of the Aragonese Chronicle, the castle was built by Villardouinos at the northern end of Parnon. It is also another of the many castles of Oria, It has been adequately described by Antoine Bon and Peppa”

“We know that after the conquest of Monemvasia, Villardouinos built a castle in 1256 on the mountains to control the Tsakones. The relevant reference in the “Book of Sports” is as follows. Et le princep por mellor fenyorear los fizo alli un castiello suso en las montagnas, el qual se clama la Estella (Libro p.49″

“It is first mentioned by Leake Travels II p.486, writing that two miles above the Agianni Kalyvia, in the cultivated plain of Xirokambi, there is an Hellenic fortress”.

Walls of the Acropolis of Astros (Castle Estella in Agiannis)

From ΄YPPOA, Estella Castle (in Agiannis),

Estella, castle – mobileContent – ​​eCastles (culture.gr)

Location: The castle is located on a natural outcrop at an altitude of 1,008m. in the southeast of the Xerokampos plateau and between the villages of Agios Ioannis and Agios Petros….

Today, this mountainous castle is considered to be the fortress mentioned in the Aragonese Chronicle as Estella ((translation of the Greek word Astros) and has remained known by the popular name Castle of Oria, which is also found in other parts of Greece, due to the of folk tradition regarding the occupation of…..

From YPPOA, Paralio Astros  Castle

Paralio Astros – mobileContent – ​​eCastles (culture.gr)

“The identification of the site Astros and its castle, as well as their association with the names Astritsi and Estella [=Astros (Greek)] created confusion for historians and cartographers of the past, but also for newer researchers. The castle on the coast of Astros was mainly confused with the Estella castle, which according to the Aragonese Chronicle was erected in 1256 by William Villeardouino  to control the unruly Tsakones. However, the Estella castle has now been identified with the fort at Xerokastelli in the mountainous hinterland of northeastern Kynouria….

 The study of the remains of the castle allows the distinction of two building phases. The first phase concerns the period between the 17th c. and the end of the 18th century…. The second construction period can be traced back to 1824 and 1825, a time when the castle was strengthened and inhabited by wealthy foreign merchants initiated into the Friendly Society, the Zafiropoulos brothers

“The existence of a castle in the same location, from the Byzantine period or the Venetian period, is not confirmed so far by building remains.”

“According to what was mentioned, with reservations, two building phases can be distinguished. To the first belong the outer fortified precinct… Therefore it is part of the building activity either during the Second Eneco period in the Peloponnese (1689-1715) and the fortifications built by the Ottomans in the area to deal mainly with local movements or the Second Turkish period after in 1715”

From the Ministry of Culture

YPPOA/EFAARK/ A.P. 91048/03-03-2022

“Regarding, finally, your third question regarding the castles of our Service, we provide you with the following hyperlinks in order not only to be informed about which are the castles of Kynouria but also to glean useful information of historical and archaeological interest, so so that you have a global view on the subject:’

http://ecastles.culture.gr/ (of the YP.PO.A.)

The Estella castle in Agiannis was built in 1256 by William Villardouinos to subjugate the unruly neighbors of the Tsakones in Sitaina, Kastanitsa and Prastos, where the Tsakones were, “up in the mountains” suso en law montanyas, as stated in the Chronicle of Moreos.

Nikos A. Vei, Monuments of Astros

..”.And exactly on a single mountain above Agios Ioannou (=Epano Astrous) lies … the Castle of Oria … In my opinion, after the above explanations, probably we can identify the Castle of Oria of Parnonos with Estella = Astros.” (pp. 99-100)

astrosgr.com/en / John Koutogiorgas

Back to astrosgr.com/en /Dedicated to Thyreatis Land

Πηγές

Νίκο Α. Βέη , Μνείαι  του Άστρους (σελ 93-104)

Θυρεάτις Γη ( Ιστορία Αρχαιολογία Λαογραφία ) Ιωάννης Κουσκουνάς Κυριάκος ΧασαπογιάννηςΙωάννης Κακαβούλιας. 1981

book4.pdf (zafeiris.gr)

Ιωάννη Μ. Αρβανίτη Από τις Πηγές του Λαού μας, τόμος A,Β, Αθήνα 1985,8

Αρβανίτη Σμ., «Το κάστρο του Παραλίου Άστρους Κυνουρίας

Αναστάσιος Ι. Μπάλλας ,Πελοποννησιακά, Τόμος ΚΓ Εταιρείας Πελοποννησιακών Σπουδών,Βραβείο  της Ακαδημίας Αθηνών  (Άστρος   ( σ.209-210  )

Εστέλλα, κάστρο – mobileContent – eCastles (culture.gr)

Κάστρο Εστέλλα – Ελληνικά Κάστρα – Kastra.eu

Παράλιο Άστρος – mobileContent – eCastles (culture.gr)

Κάστρο Παράλιου Άστρους – Ελληνικά Κάστρα – Kastra.eu

Home – Κοινότητα Άστρους (koinotita-astrous.gr)

http://ecastles.culture.gr/    (του ΥΠ.ΠΟ.Α.)

Ο οικιστής του Παραλίου Άστρους Αγιαννίτης στρατηγός Πάνος Ζαφειρόπουλος η Άκουρος

Οι  δύο φωτογραφίες  για το Κάστρο Εστέλλα ,  που αναφέρεται  «Κεντρικός πύργος Άστρους»  και  «Τείχη της ακρόπολης  του Άστρους»  είναι   Από το Αναστάσιος Ι. Μπάλλας ,Πελοποννησιακά, Τόμος ΚΓ Εταιρείας Πελοποννησιακών Σπουδών,Βραβείο  της Ακαδημίας Αθηνών

Οι άλλες φωτογραφίες για το Κάστρο Εστέλλα στον Αγιάννη από το φίλο και γείτονα μας στη παλιά “μητρόπολη του Αγιάννη Σουληνάρι Θόδωρο Μαγκλή.

Για περισσότερα δείτε τους παρακάτω συνδέσμους

Για το Κάστρο Εστέλλα (στον Αγιάννη)

Εστέλλα, κάστρο – mobileContent – eCastles (culture.gr)

Κάστρο Εστέλλα – Ελληνικά Κάστρα – Kastra.eu

Κάστρο Εστέλλα ή Κάστρο της Ωριάς ή κάστρο στο Ξεροκάμπι

Κάστρο της Ωριάς Αρκαδίας – Βικιπαίδεια (wikipedia.org)

«Η Ωριά και το Κάστρο της στην Αρκαδία (pics)».

Για το Κάστρο Παραλίου ¨Αστρους

Παράλιο Άστρος – mobileContent – eCastles (culture.gr)

Κάστρο Παράλιου Άστρους – Ελληνικά Κάστρα – Kastra.eu

Κάστρο Παραλίου Άστρους η των Ζαφειρόπουλων

Το νόμιμο όνομα Το Κάστρο του Παραλίου Άστρους και γιατί η ιστορία δεν ξαναγράφεται, ούτε σβήνεται.

Ο οικιστής του Παραλίου Άστρους Αγιαννίτης στρατηγός Πάνος Ζαφειρόπουλος η Άκουρος

Το Κάστρο του Παραλίου Άστρους υπάγεται στην αρμοδιότητα της ΕΦΑΑΡΚ, που κρατά μυστικά την ανάδειξη και αναστήλωση.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: