Church of Agios Ioannis the Forerunner in Agiannis
Agiannis was the capital of Greece of the Provisional Government of the Revolution, from August 15 to October 1 and “the neighborhood of Soulinari was the metropolis of Agiannis”, as our fellow citizen Giannis D. Kourbelis tells us.
The village had a total of 16 churches along with the chapels around the village, this says something about the respect of the inhabitants and the prosperity of the village for many years. “The church of Agios Vassilios was a large church which was located at the bottom of the village and specifically at the place of Matthew and near the source of Soulinari. The church, which was the metropolis of the church, was completely destroyed in 1826 and in its place today has been erected a simple shrine… .. “The church and its surrounding area were the metropolis of the village, as we see that in the surrounding area there are many mansions of important Agiannites (such as those of Perros, Sarigiannis, Matthew, etc. (of the Zafeiropoula brothers)) and various churches (Agios Efstratios and Agios Petros) ”
We do not have a photo of the metropolis of the imposing church of St. Basil, we posted the church of St. John the Baptist, that in our childhood we went to Easter for Christ the Risen. Easter to this day reminds us of the church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos, the flowers of the epitaph, the chants of Barba Tassi Aloupogiannis, the trapakiklia and the barrels, Christ Resurrected in the churchyard, overlooking the plane tree and the waters of the forerunner in the big cistern.
It is estimated that the population of Prastos in medieval times amounted to 9,000 inhabitants. Prastos then had 9 parishes, 30 churches and intense economic activity.
From the “Mount Parnon and Moustos Wetland Management Agency, 2015. Guide for the protected area of Mount Parnon and Moustos Wetland. Nature, Culture, Ecotourism. Astros of Arcadia
Parnonas: the “Mount Athos” of Southern Greece
Dozens of monasteries of Parnonas, sometimes rooted in steep cliffs, roots of the faith and soul of Christianity and sometimes on hills, ascension to the uncle and the dream. Founded for many centuries, they are a complex part of the history of the place, high examples of architecture, places of mental euphoria and rejoicing, paths of redemption and hope.
The mountain of Parnon was named “Second Mount Athos” or “Mount Athos of Southern Greece”, because it was inhabited during the reign of Constantine Pogonatos (668-685 AD) by Christianized inhabitants from Mount Athos, but also because no other Greek mountain presents such a large concentration of monasteries. The Christian presence on Mount Parnon up to its coastal shores is uninterrupted from the early Christian years (4th-7th century AD). This is confirmed by Christian archeological finds located in the wider area of Thyrea. From the descent of the Slavs and then in the region follow the so-called “dark times”. Despite the devastation caused by the Avar Slavic invasion, the Greek population did not perish, while according to findings it flourished again in the 11th century. This is evidenced by the architectural sculptural members that are exhibited in the hall of the Library of Vourvourou. Remains of the Paleolithic Period are preserved on Parnonas (late Byzantine years) as well as findings that reveal a building boom in the early Ottoman years (1600 AD). Some of the monasteries in the wider area of Parnon, both in Arcadia and in Laconia are presented in the following pages.
We will post details about the following later.
Parnon and Moustos Wetland Management Agency