Korakovouni is 8 km away from Astros.
From the “Mount Parnon and Moustos Wetland Management Agency, 2015. Guide for the protected area of Mount Parnon and Moustos Wetland. Nature, Culture, Ecotourism. Astros of Arcadia “.
Korakouvouni, a lowland settlement built on a small hill next to the river Vrasiatis and the main provincial road Astros – Leonidi, is located 8 km south of Astros. It is a Kefalochori of the area with several stone-built mansions. In the center and the square of the village dominates the three-aisled Church of Agios Vassilios, Agios Georgios and Agia Varvara. Here are the busts of Georgios Leventis, who was a prominent Friend and head of the Tax Office of the Friends of Bucharest and the benefactor Georgios Kazakis. With a panoramic view of the settlement, the visitor can admire the lush olive grove that stretches in the plain of Vrasiatis and the blue-green beaches of the area. Mountainous Korakovouni at an altitude of 579 m., Is built on the slopes of Mount Parnon and at a distance of about 20 km southwest of Astros. At the entrance of the village the visitor meets the church of the Assumption of the Virgin built in the 17th century, the impressive three-fountain fountain with crystal clear waters built in 1886, in a beautiful paved and stone-built square surrounded by impressive centuries-old plane trees. The stone houses of the village combine harmonious elements of mountain and island architecture.
Museum of Traditional Olive Mill in Korakovouni:
The olive mill was built in 1884 by Petros P. Petropoulos and operated until 1920. It was biomobile, ie all processes were done by biological beings (a horse and workers) and not by machines. The olive mill was renovated in 2006 by Evangelos Anast. Petropoulos, grandson of the owner. In the museum the visitor can observe and get acquainted with the method of processing the olive for the production of olive oil, before the industrial modernization, presented by human models. The exhibits include the baskets in which the workers brought the olives, the sacks in which the olive pulp (commonly hummus) was placed to squeeze the oil, the millstone that melted the olives, the press where the pressing took place and finally the “libi” (container) that ended the olive oil and the other juices (liozoumia) of the olive. Among the museum’s exhibits are the cauldron that boiled the water they used to process the extraction of olive oil, the damizans that transported the oil, the liokoki and the stone wood that remained after the extraction of the oil. The museum also houses the “dynamari”, a mechanism for increasing the pressure of the presses, the plate that was bought in 1913 for weighing olives and oil and the office where the transactions were recorded. Of course, there are also additional tools of the mill, such as those of lighting (lamps) and tools such as the vise, scales, hand drills and wrenches. We will see the first screw of the press which was wooden, before it was replaced by the iron one. The area of the olive mill also served as a processing area for edible olives with salt that was made in the “lanza”, a large barrel with a capacity of 2.5 tons that survives to this day. Inside the museum there are agricultural tools of pre-industrial era, such as plows, zebras and goats.
The castle of Artikaina
Within walking distance from the village, the visitor deserves to know the medieval castle of Artikaina (See p. 208), in an imposing area with unrestricted views to the peaks of Parnon and the turquoise of the Argolic Gulf. At the initiative of local associations, a variety of cultural activities, events and festivals are organized every year. Of particular interest is the traditional carnival carnival, with unique hospitality and rich treats to the public, such as the famous traditional plate pie
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Winter Korakovouni (also Karakovouni and Korakovounion) is a lowland settlement in the prefecture of Arcadia, built amphitheatrically on a hill at the foot of Mount Parnon. In a short distance flows the river Brasiatis.  It is located in the southeastern part of the prefecture, 52 km SE of Tripoli, in the former province of Kynouria. It belongs administratively to the municipality of North Kynouria. Korakovouni also includes the Mountainous Korakovounika and Neochori. Its history is lost in the depths of the centuries, as originally there was Mount Karakovouni (from Zaritsi Kynouria to Kastraki Astros) where in between there was only one settlement where it took the name of the mountain. During the Byzantine times, the General of Byzantium Pervainas came from Korakovouni or Karakovouni.
The name of the village has been associated with the Greek Revolution of 1821 as it is the birthplace of: • Varsami Konstantinou: He came from Korakovouni, Kynouria. Heavily injured f Agios Sostis, outside Tripoli. When he was healed, he continued to fight until his release. • Leventi, Georgiou: (Korakovouni, Kynouria 1790 – Athens 1847
Mountainous Korakovouni of Arcadia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mountainous Korakovouni is a mountainous settlement, built at an altitude of 534 m. It is 12 km from Korakovounika and 22 km from Astros. T
he village belongs administratively to the Municipality of North Kynouria and has a population of 8 permanent residents according to the 2011 census The village, according to tradition, was founded after the destruction of Paleo Korakovouni (a settlement that existed near Prastos) by Turkish troops in 1687.  Along with Paleo Korakovouni, Agios Ioannis, Meligou, Kastanitsa and Prastos were also destroyed. After the destruction of the village, the inhabitants founded a new village in the place where the Mountainous Korakovouni is today. During the years of Ottoman rule the settlement belonged to the Vilaeti of Agios Petros. According to a Venetian census of 1699, the village had two churches: Agios Dimitrios and Panagia, as well as two vicars.  In the 18th and 19th the Korakovounites developed trade relations with various areas, as the Korakovounites lived and traded in places such as Spetses, Hydra, Constantinople, Odessa etc.
During the years 1750 – 1775 in the village acted the thief George Leventis (grandfather of the friend), who was the first son of Konstantis Kolokotronis.  With the founding of the Friendly Society, many Korakovounites became members, most importantly the merchant George Leventis (1790 – 1847). The contribution of the Korakovunites to the Revolution of 1821 was significant, as more than 100 fighters were distinguished in the battles of Doliana, Vervena, Tripolitsak. In 1826 the village was completely destroyed by the hordes of Ibrahim Pasha. After the liberation, the village was subordinated to the Municipality of Vrasia (1834 – 1912). From Korakovouni came the Winter Korakovouni, which was created during the 18th century. and is a permanent residence of the Korakovounites.
Mountainous Korakovouni is a mountain village built amphitheatrically on the slopes of a mountain. It is overgrown with trees, while it has many traditional mansions that combine Tsakoniki with Spetsiotiki architecture. A marble point is the marble fountain together with the small square and the church of Panagia, located at the entrance of the village. The village has churches such as: of Agios Dimitrios (patron saint) in the central square of the village, building of 1688, of Panagia at the entrance of the village, which was the catholic of the Monastery of Panagia Katakekrymeni, building again of 1688. It also has chapels like of Agios John of the Forerunner in the place “Klima”, of Agioi Anargyroi in the place “Klima”, of Agios Georgios (former monastery of Endysenas), of Agios Ioannis the Theologian in the place “Cerbena” and the shrine of Profitis Ilias, above the village.
Orino Korakovouni also has a traditional cafe – tavern. Near the village are the villages of Korakovouni, Agios Andreas and the villages of Prastos, Kastanitsa and Sitaina. An important attraction is the Byzantine, ruined Castle of Artikaina, located east of the village. In winter the village lives with few inhabitants, while in summer it “comes to life” mainly during the feasts of Prophet Elias and the Fifteenth of August.