From the “Mount Parnon and Moustos Wetland Management Agency, 2015. Guide for the protected area of Mount Parnon and Moustos Wetland. Nature, Culture, Ecotourism. Astros of Arcadia “.
“Meligou is a neighboring village of Astros, the seat of the Municipality of North Kynouria. Inside the settlement the visitor will observe the bust of Kolokotronis, who had encamped here with the military during the Second National Assembly of the Greeks and will admire the churches of Timios Prodromos and Agios Nikolaos, the squares and the park- recreation area and stadium next to the primary school. Of interest are the stone-built water bridges next to the village and especially the imposing water bridge (Mylovageno) in the area of Agios Georgios. Impressive view from Kastraki Meligous (See p. 215) to the plain of Thyrea, the wetland of Moustos and the Argolic Gulf. The church of Agia Anastasia, with architectural members from antiquity, is located in an area which may hide and mark the ancient city of Thyrea, which according to the written reports of Thucydides “is ten steps away”. Two km south of Meligos is the lagoon of Moustos (See p. 31), an important pole of attraction for visitors, the waters of which end through a complex of artificial and natural canals in the Argolic Gulf, with their impressive estuary and the bridge of Kazarba (See . photo p. 228). From the Bavarian bridge of Casarba to Portes stretches a unique beach, in an idyllic environment that remains unchanged, since it is located in the Area of Absolute Protection of the wetland Moustos.
At a distance of 12 km southwest of Astros and at an altitude of 616 m. Is built the mountainous Meligou. The stone houses of the village and the churches of Agios Georgios and Panagia are impressive. A reference point for the visitor is the beautiful square of Panagia with the imposing age-old plane trees and the rich waters. Northwest of the village of Meligou and a short distance from it, in Spathokommeno, is an ancient prison. The historic Monastery of the Holy Trinity is another dynamic attraction of Meligou. Numerous cultural events and rich festivals are organized by the Cultural and Sports Associations of the village throughout the year. «
The enchanting Portes beach is located in Kato Meligou, is a reference point for all locals and “belongs” to all όλους .. Paralio Astros, Astros and Meligou. The Astrinos agree with the visitors who report that they enjoyed their baths “in Portes, the best beach of Astros”.
Mountainous Meligou Arcadia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia “
The mountainous Meligou of Arcadia, is a mountainous, traditional settlement [of Kynouria. It is built at an altitude of 616 m., At a distance of 12 km west of Astros and next to the village of Agios Ioannis. Administratively it belongs to the Municipality of North Kynouria
Orini Meligou is mentioned for the first time in the Chronicle of Moreos by Georgios Sfrantzis in the year 1435 with the name Meligou. The name “Meligou” is of Slavic origin and comes from the tribe of Milingos (or Melingos), who together with the Ezerites settled in the 9th century. in Parnonas, leaving many place names. In the 17th and 18th c. Meligou developed and became one of the richest and most powerful villages in the area along with Agios Ioannis, Agios Petros, Platanos and others. Meligou’s contribution to the Revolution of 1821 was important, as many Meligiotes took part in various battles such as the Bervens, the Dolians, the Tripolitsakas. In 1826, Orini Meligou was completely destroyed by the armies of Ibrahim Pasha, while other villages in the area had the same fate. After the liberation, Meligou became part of the Municipality of Thyreas (based in Agios Ioannis and Astros), while its inhabitants settled permanently in Meliggiotika Kalivia (today’s Winter of Meligou, Arcadia).
Orini Meligou, is built on the slope of a lush and green mountain. The village is full of traditional mansions, fountains, taverns and churches. In the village, there is the church of Agios Georgios with the cemetery and Panagia, which celebrates on September 8. Nearby from the village, there are the chapels of Agios Savvas, Profitis Ilias and Agia Triada, a former monastery built in the 17th century. To the north of the village are the remains of an ancient outpost, at Spathokommeno. In the village take place every year events and festivals, with the most important of the Virgin Mary (September 7-8) and the Holy Trinity. In winter the village is left with few inhabitants, since most of the inhabitants go down to Meligou “
Wall – Greek
Nearby opposite Ano Meligou is the Wall – El At a distance of about 5 km from Astros at the top of the hill above the bends “kodeles” at a short distance from the uphill road to Agiannis is the Greek Wall, from there the view of Thyratida Gis and the Argolic gulf is excellent . At the point there is an inscription of the archeological service that leads to a rural road and after 2 kilometers the visitor reaches a plateau, which is the beginning of a 15 minute walk that leads to the top of a hill, the Wall or Elliniko. Here one can see the ruins of the ancient sanctuary of the god Apollo, ruins of walls, buildings and underground tanks and relics of the Upper Thyrea or for some others of the Nereid.
“On the road from Astros to Orini Meligou, just before we reach the inn of Kopanitsa, we follow on the left the dirt road and the signs to the Monastery of the Holy Trinity (1612). The monastery is in ruins, but its katholikon is preserved in very good condition
From FBMeligios Symposium
MELIGIOTIS SYMPOSIUM · MONDAY, FEBRUARY 4, 2019 ·
Meligou as we should know is a Village of Kynouria, a Community of the former Municipality of Thyrea and now an Apartment of the Municipality of North Kynouria. The most similar of Meligos are its two parts “in one body and one heart”, the Upper Meligou (Spring house, or Mountainous Meligou, or the “Village”) and the Lower Meligou (Winter house, or Pedini Meligou, or the ” Gialos “, or” Kalivia Meligous “). It is inhabited by the Meligiotes or Meligites, and in addition to Gialos have settled many xenohorites from the mountains of Kynouria (Platanites and Verveniotes mainly, but not only) assimilated. The closest, to a misunderstanding, village in Meligou is Agiannis or Astros, which is the seat of the Municipality of North Kynouria. Some additional information about our village:
Our village “Meligou”, as it is officially called today, owes its name – experts say – to the Meligos or Miligos Slavs, who during the middle ages (6th-7th etc. centuries), settled at the foot of the mountains “Parnos” or “Malevos” (as we call it) and “Taygetos” and especially for us in today’s “Orini Meligou” and in fact in the places “Koutri” and “Meliggaria” where there are obvious traces of old settlements and locations with Slavic names.
The descent of the Slavs in the Peloponnese during the Middle Ages, their attitude towards the empire and the Franks and the eventual assimilation with the Greekness of the area and the majority of the population is a great chapter of continuous study for historians and archaeologists.
The “Chronicle of Moreos”, an unknown text of the 14th century, gives information about the Slavs of the Peloponnese, including the Milingos or Meligos (drougos or drogos of Miligos or Meligoi which consisted of Slavic and Greek or ambiguous villages).
Furthermore, Meligou (ie the primitive settlement in the mountainous part) is also known in the year 1435 AD, where it is mentioned by George Frantzis as “Meligon” along with other neighboring villages that still exist today.
During the period (1683-1699), when the Venetian-Turkish dispute over the sovereignty in the Peloponnese was raging, and specifically in 1687, our village is mentioned again in code number 61 of the Monastery of Iveron on Mount Athos by Theophylaktos Agorastos who notes that ” Meimet Pasha came and not wanting the villages to worship him, they enslaved and burned Agios Ioannis, in Melingou, Kastanitsa, etc.
” In the year 1700, during the Venetian occupation, Meligou is mentioned in the census of Grimani as a village in the region of Agios Petros with 43 families (about 160 inhabitants).
During the 18th and 19th centuries our village is mentioned by European visitors, travelers or even spies of that time.
During the second Turkish occupation and the Revolution until 1833, Meligou was administratively part of the Province of Agios Petros. In 1833-1834 Meligou was included in the Province of Kynouria as a Community of the Municipality of Thyrea. With the abolition of the old Municipalities in 1914, Meligou was named as Community of Meligou with a single geographical area, the Mountainous and Winter Meligou. With the introduction of the “Kapodistrias” and “Kallikratis” systems, Meligou is today a Community Department of the Municipality of North Kynouria.
The administrative affiliation of Meligos is in the Province of Kynouria in the Prefecture of Arcadia in the Peloponnese Region
Judicially, Meligou belongs to the Court of First Instance and the Court of Appeal of Nafplio. Meligou as a whole occupies about 25,000 acres of open space and its population is about 900 inhabitants.
During the second Turkish occupation, the Meligiotes, who owned land in the so-called field of Astros, built makeshift houses on the edge of the plain, where they remained for a while, as long as it was necessary for the cultivation of the estates. Over time these buildings became ground floor houses and were named “Kalivia Meligous” or “Meleggitika or Melig iotika Kalivia ”and were the winter residence of the inhabitants. The huts became normal houses, two-storey, the people got rid of the fear of various dangers from the sea and the plague of malaria of the swamp of lake “Moustos” and we arrived today where the main residence of the people of Meligioti is in Pedini or Winter or Kato Meligou or in “Gialos”, while Orini or Apano Meligou or “Chorio”, is a place of recreation and festivals at every opportunity.
“Chorio” is located at an altitude of about 600 meters and “Gialos” about 50 meters above sea level.
“SOUGELOS – WATER MILL – MOTHER OF WATER
These monuments in Kato Meligou were once monumental works for the survival of the inhabitants of the Village. They were built before the liberation by the Turks and the water followed the course from the spring (Mana) with an open aqueduct (Sougelos from the Turkish homonymous su yollari), passed through the imposing Mill Mill of the Watermill to the chapel of Agiorgis, by two stone bridges of the two torrents of Meligos (one survives), from intermediate reservoirs and ended in three public fountains in the village for water supply and in earthen ditches for irrigation. The oldest written reference that has been found so far for these monuments is the notarial contractor of the year 1837 with which the Special Assistant Meligous commissioned the repair of the Mother of Water and Sougelos to a carpenter (“mason”) from Kastri. The course from Meligou along Sougelos to Mylovagenos and from there to Mana tou Nero is for every visitor a true course of history in the natural environment, which is worth experiencing. “
“Mana tou Nerou” is also the name of the spring above the monastery of Loukous, from which Astros and Kato Doliana were supplied with water by Karytsiotis. Two hundred years ago, Karytsiotis donated the school to us and brought us water in the village to pay for the school’s teachers from the farm.”
We bravely borrowed photos and texts from our friends Meligiotes