Agios Petros of Arcadia

The Municipality of North Kynouria, based in the historic Astros, consists of 26 Local Apartments and 40 settlements, located in the northeastern part of the Prefecture of Arcadia and to the east is bathed by the waters of the Argolic Gulf.

In the whole of Thyrea it is not an exaggeration to say that if you pick up a small stone you will find a historical monument and an archeological treasure.

Gradually we will post special pages for all the Traditional Villages

Agios Petros Arcadia is 224 km from Athens Airport , 33 km from Astros and 36 km from Tripolis.

From our Municipality

Drowned in the green village of Parnon. It has a perfect tourist infrastructure with hotels, taverns, shops with local products and is a destination all year round, as it covers almost all tastes. 192 km from Athens, 36 from Tripoli, Agios Petros is a traditional settlement that does not leave its visitor complaining. The sights of the village include the Church of the Apostles Peter and Paul in the square, the Tower of Trikalitis, the renovated stone school, an excellent example of the architecture of its time, the Tower of Aga, of the 18th century, the old carpet factory, the stone “Anna’s bottom”.

The historical past of the village is special since in 1821 the captain Anagnostis Kontakis raised the Banner of the Revolution and in 1826 set fire to Ibrahim. The visit to Agios Petros can not be combined with the visit to the well-known monastery of the area, the Monastery of Malevi. Lovers of mountaineering and nature getaways will not be left complaining, since from the village start paths that end at Mikri Tourla and Megali Tourla, the highest peak of Parnon, at 1936 meters, which is far from the shelter, where one can to spend the night, about 6 hours. In the village the visitor can get to know the tradition through the festivals, which take place on the occasion of the religious holidays, while in the wider area (between Agios Petros-Agios Ioannis) there is the Castle of Oria or Estella (Astron), where one can see the ruins of a settlement. and fort.

From the “Mount Parnon and Moustos Wetland Management Agency, 2015. Guide for the protected area of ​​Mount Parnon and Moustos Wetland. Nature, Culture, Ecotourism. Astros of Arcadia “.

 Agios Petros is a green traditional settlement, with picturesque alleys, at an altitude of 950 m. It has a perfect tourist infrastructure with hotels, taverns and shops with local products, as the surrounding slopes are overgrown with chestnuts, walnuts, cherries, pears and apples. . It is located 33 km southwest of Astros and is an ideal destination for all seasons.

The past of the village is historically special since on March 24, 1821 the noble and chief Anagnostis Kontakis raised the Banner of the Revolution here. Other personalities related to the village, apart from Anagnostis Kontakis, who was also a memoirist of the revolution of 1821, in whatever form and whose contribution is decisive in the wider region, in the Panhellenic or in the world, are considered until now the : Athanasios Sakellarios, Thanos Vagenas, Amalia Fleming, Stefanos Vassiliadis, Nana Mouskouri and Petros Themelis.

The sights of the village include the Church of the Apostles Peter and Paul of 1850, whose iconostasis is made in 1875, from gray marble of Parnon. Sights are the vaulted fountain of Kerastas in the main square, with the inscription of 1769, the renovated stone school of 1920 – an excellent example of the architecture of his time, the Tower of Trikalitis, the old tapestry and the stone bridge of “Bithou” which joins the two banks of the river Tanos. From the village start paths that end in Mikri and Megali Tourla. Nearby from the village is the shelter of Parnon, a reference point for climbers and mountaineering clubs. The mapped European hiking trail E4, which crosses all of Greece, passes through Agios Petros. Five km east of Agios Petros, is JM Malevi, one of the most famous religious destinations in our country (See p. 185). The Monastery is surrounded by the unique, not only for Greece, but also for Europe, forest of the Syrian juniper Juniperus drupacea. In the area of ​​Xirokambi, east of Agios Petros, at the top of a hill, remains of the imposing Castle of Oria are preserved (See p. 214). At the same time, the visitor can get to know the tradition through the festivals that take place on the occasion of the religious holidays, such as Agios Nilos of Myrovlitis on May 7, the Apostles Peter and Paul on June 29, as well as the feast of Panagia Malevi on August 23. . Trikalitis Tower in Agios Petros The Trikalitis Tower is a two-storey tower, of exceptional architecture, built around 1800 with the loopholes in its corners and the scalpel above the entrance. It includes two floors and a floor. It was built for the local Aga for use as a fortified residence and in the process it was also named “Aga Tower”. A characteristic architectural “symbol” of the village that was used as a Kapodistrian – Greek School – Half High School, after the revolution of 1821 (period 1829-1835), while today and after its recent renovation (courtesy of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation), is a inside there is a small folklore museum

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Agios Petros is a mountain village and community in the municipality of North Kynouria. It is built on the north side of Mount Parnon at an altitude of 961 meters [3]. It is located 3 km south of the village of Elatos, 5 km east of Vourvoura, 6 km northeast of Karyes Laconia, 18 km southwest of Astros and 26 km southeast of Tripoli.

It has been declared a traditional settlement. [4] History Agios Petros is mentioned for the first time in 1435 in the Chronicle of the Fall of Georgios Sfrantzis. In the following years the village is mentioned in various documents of the time.

Around 1600 in the village was born Agios Nilos the Myrovlitis (according to the world Nikolaos Terzakis, † 1651), who consecrated himself in the Monastery of Malevi and later on Mount Athos. During the Venetian period, in 1687, Agios Petros became the seat of the Province of Agios Petros Tsakonia (Territorio di San Pietro di Zacognia). At the same time (18th century) the village experienced great growth due to trade, with a population then almost 4,000 inhabitants and many mansions – tower houses.

During the Turkish occupation, Agios Petros became the seat of the Vilaeti of Agios Petros, which included Kastri, Agios Ioannis, Platanos, Meligos, Haradros, Astros, Korakovouni, Prastos, Sitaina, Kastanitsa, B Doliana et al. After 1775 the thieves Giannis Karabelas, Antonakis Alevizos, fought and resisted against the Turkalvans. In 1786 these two revolutionaries, in collaboration with Captain Zacharias and other Agiopetrites, fought the Turks in the Monastery of Malevi.

With the founding of the Friendly Society, in 1814, several Agiopetrites begin to participate, including the prostitute Anagnostis Kondakis, the abbot of the Malevi Monastery, Kallinikos Tsiamouris and others The contribution of the village to the Revolution of 1821 was important. On March 24, 1821, Anagnostis Kondakis proclaims the Revolution in the area. Several Agiopetrites, under Anagnostis Kondakis, participated with great success in the battles of Doliani and Vervena, Tripolitsa, Valtetsiuk, etc., in collaboration with the other military corps of Kynouria. In 1826 Ibrahim Pasas completely destroyed the village, as well as all the other villages in the area.

 In the following years Agios Petros became the seat of the Community of Agios Petros. In 1944, during the German occupation, 48 civilians were executed by the Germans in St. Peter

The village Agios Petros is overgrown with firs, walnuts and other trees, it has a lot of water and several fountains, such as Kerastas, Katsis, Karabelas and Kapeletzis etc. The village has old mansions tower houses, with the most important being the house of the Turkish aga Trikalitis of the 18th century and many churches, with the most important being Agios Petros (19th century), the Entrances of the Virgin Mary, Agios Nilos etc. Finally, it has various services such as a school, a community office and various Associations.

 Nearby are the so-called Kastritochoria (Kastri, Elatos, Oria, Tou Karatoula, Mesorrachi, Nea Chora and Perdikovrisi), Agios Ioannis and other villages. To the south is the top of Mount Parnon with an altitude of 1,934 meters. Nearby is the Monastery of Malevi and the medieval Castle of Oria

“In the area around the Monastery of Malevi, in Kynouria, lies the only forest in Europe made of cedar trees, which has been declared a protected natural monument and is protected by the Natura 2000 network. The tree cedar or juniper or Syrian juniper is a rare species, endemic to the Eastern Mediterranean and found in forests only in Syria. Nevertheless, it is characteristic of the flora of Parnon and in this location is found in a pure cluster of 740 acres. “Other species of rare plants have been recorded in the same forest, which confirms the uniqueness of the environment in this area.”

astrosgr.com/en / John Koutogiorgas

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: