Dimitrios Karytsiotis <1741-1819>
Our great benefactor Dimitrios Karytsiotis <1741-1819> was born in Agios Ioannis <Agiannis> and according to the tradition of Agianniti, he left “with a tsarouchi”. in which young people from Agios Ioannis, from all over mainland Greece and our islands studied and in 1805 he built in Astros the branch of the School of Agios Ioannis.
The Karytsioti school played a catalytic role for the local community for many years and even today, since all the people of Agianni with great effort and with every sacrifice wanted their children to learn letters and as graduates “squids” to change their lives, according to the “smart” expectations of their great benefactor Dimitrios Karytsiotis.
Pre-revolutionary Greece had many small “hidden” and few open schools. One of the few obvious schools was the famous Karytsiotis School that was built in 1798, 23 years before the Greek revolution and this is of great importance. Our great benefactor Dimitrios Karytsiotis, a powerful Agiannitis patriot of the Diaspora, found a way to allow the 400-year-old Turkish conquerors to build and operate the school in Agiannis and in the branch of the Karytsiotis school in Astros Kynourias5, which opened in 1805.
The Karytsioti school played a catalytic role for the local society and a decisive role for Agiannis to become the capital of the revolted Greece, from August 15 to October 1, 1822 and for the Second National Assembly of the Greeks in Astros in 1823. “Government” located very close to the school Karytsiotis of Agiannis was the seat of government. Astros is mainly known in our homeland by all Greeks and to expatriates abroad by the Second National Assembly of the Greeks that took place in 1823, for which the whole world knows us. The “squid” Astrinos, from the squid they used to write in the famous School of Karytsioti, offered a lot to the homeland during those difficult moments for our nation when everything was hanging by a thread to drown the revolution in blood. But before the National Assembly, the catalytic construction of the Karytsiotis School had preceded. The large Karytsiotis square is located in the “farm” of Karytsiotis.
The large square of Karytsioti
Our great benefactor Dimitrios Karytsiotis built the school in Agiannis and its branch in Astros but he looked further. In 1805 he donated to the inhabitants of Astros and to the School an area of about 48 acres, the so-called “Farm”, next to and around the School to be paid for tuition of the teachers of the school and to eat the boarding students of the school with the fruits and “farm” fruits such as grapes, medlars. He also fenced the “Farm” with a stone wall (mantra), in some places higher than two meters. The mantra survives to this day to the east of the farm, the rest was eaten by the “growth”.
There were two entrances to the farm, one of which survives today near and east of the school. The other entrance was majestic and a historical monument, below the primary school of Astros, opposite the house of Dimitrakis Efthymiou, through which the old man of Moria and the delegates of the National Assembly passed, but after 1966 it was also eaten by “development” and our puppet, as did the eaten stairs of the school. Thousands of students passed by the neighboring school of Karytsiotis who “ate” the stairs of the building with their boots, which a foolish archeology official replaced with a new one, because he did not know and “there was no other way” to preserve the history and safety of visitors.
In 1805, with the help of his brother, Georgiou, he brought water to the village from the “mother of water”, above Loukou, with a stone aqueduct (sougelo) about 5 km, from near the Loukou Monastery which in some places still exists , for the village to have water and “to irrigate the farm garden so that the School is open”. The large Karytsiotis square is located in the “farm” of Karytsiotis. The farm or a large pergola in the 1960s still had the stone paddock all around and near the road there were palm trees. of the square there were two rows of medlars. At the entrance of the current high school Astros there was a cistern that collected water from the “sougelo” for gardeners to water the pergolas and trees. In the paddock near the road below the Zafeiris foundation there were bananas and palm trees.
The “farm” of about 48 acres starts from where the OTE building is located to the cemetery, with all the schools, stadiums and squares, the site of the Zafeiris Foundation. In 1805, with the help of his brother, Georgiou, he brought water to the village from the “manna of water” about 5 km, above the holy monastery of Loukous, with a stone shovel, (aqueduct) which in some places still exists, for the village should have water and “the farm garden should be watered so that the School is open”.
The entrance of the Archaiological Museum of Astros and the place of the Second National Assembly of Greeks ,
Σχολή Καρυτσιώτη /Greek
Δημήτριος Καρυτσιώτης /Greek