Our great benefactor Dimitrios Karytsiotis (1741-1819) was born in Agios Ioannis (Agiannis) and according to the tradition of Agianniti, he left “with one tsarouchi”. In 1798 he built the majestic and “marble” School of Karytsiotis on the hill Koutri in Agiannis and in 1805 he built in Astros the branch of the School of Agios Ioannis. The school was a kind of university for that time, since students from all over Greece were taught ancient Greek writers, mathematics, physics – chemistry, French and Italian, etc. The “kalimarmaros” school in Agiannis was burned to the ground in 1826 by Ibrahim. The school in Astros was also destroyed in 1826 by Ibrahim, but was later restored by relatives of Karytsiotis.
The Karytsioti school in Astros originally operated as a school for many years and the thousands of “squid” students of the school offered a lot to the nation and ate with their boots the stairs of the school, where a stupid employee replaced with “new” because he could not understand to preserve our cultural heritage and at the same time to protect the visitors of the museum.
The school was granted to the Ephorate of Antiquities (Ministry of Culture) by the Municipality of Astros and after major repairs and maintenance was transformed into the Archaeological Museum of Astros in 1985.
The museum space, the building of the Karytsiotis school, of local traditional style, plowed with the stone wall (mantra), together with the courtyard that survives to this day the chimneys of the rooms of the boarding students of the school and the also plowed separate neighboring “Holy Space “of the 2nd National Assembly of the Greeks is a modest, harmonious and imposing museum in itself.
The place is a greatness, a very important historical monument. These treasures of ours are not built with anything today, not even with a handful of millions of euros, because you do not rewrite our history sometimes. These treasures are looked after by others like their own eyes, because they want to show them to their children, call them “museums” and always keep them open.
Marbles and monuments are important and are present in all museums of the world. We have above the monuments this wonderful modest and imposing space, WHICH IS A MUSEUM ON ITSELF, tied to our modern history that not many have. We will open our museum soon.
The museum also has a large courtyard, where there are chimneys in the rooms of the boarding students of the school with their own history, which has been turned into an archeological park and exhibition. In the courtyard the visitor can admire two statues on a couch, of Herod Atticus and his wife, as well as columns and capitals of Corinthian style.
The Museum’s collections include sculptures, pottery, bronze objects, inscriptions, coins and other finds from various sites of ancient Kynouria, such as Thyrea and Anthini, the Hellenistic-Roman cemetery of the Greeks and the sanctuary of Apollo Tyritus, the most important of ancient Kynouria during the archaic and classical period (8th-4th century BC). Sculptures and architectural members, such as capitals, are also on display in the museum’s open-air courtyard.
The excavation of the neighboring villa in Eva Dolianon (4 km away from Astros) of the Roman Prefect (military ruler ) and collaborator of the Roman conquerors Herod Atticus brought to light an ancient “museum”.
The collection of sculptures is especially important. The Athenian Mycenaean decorated his villa with a variety of works, which included both original sculptures of classical and Hellenistic times, as well as Roman copies.
The most important exhibits include:
– Tombstone with a representation of a seated woman and an upright daughter. Attic work of the 4th c. e.g. with subsequent operations.
– Headless statue of Nereid. 5th c. e.g. It is considered the work of the sculptor Xanthos.
– Votive relief with a representation of Mercury and the Nymphs. Archaic work of the August era that copies an early classical model.
– Portrait of Herodes Atticus. 2nd c. A.D.
– Portraits of Hadrian and emperors of the Antonin dynasty, 2nd-3rd c. A.D.
It would be a great omission not to mention the following here.
The “ancient Greek” Kyriakos (Koulis) Hasapogiannis is seen third from the left with other teachers and Konstantinos Kalitsis (third from the right, who outside the school curriculum taught philosophy to students), in front of the Karytsiotis school, when the school was a school in the decade 1950. (Photo courtesy of Thyreatis Gi website)
The idea of the Astros museum was started and became a reality by our late respected professor “ancient Greek” Kyriakos (Kouli) Hasapogiannis (it was not “transformed” by anyone, it was “made” by our late respected professor).
Our late professor Panagiotis (Panos) Kampilis continued to serve in the same and best waythe museum and the place.
Our friend and respected professor Elias Sakalis, with the undoubted influence of our other late professor Mimi Sakalis, our patriotic archaeologist, Panagiotis Faklaris, professor of Classical Archeology at AUTh, and Georgios Steinhauer, George Steinhauer He designed and finished the project as we know it today, with great intelligence and a lot of work, he transferred the Astros Museum from the farm building to the Karytsiotis School, full stop.
Many other well-known and unknown compatriots continued and continue today the work and the legacy left by the “ancient Greek” Koulis Hasapogiannis, uninterruptedly as much as they can and unpaid, as all the previous ones did. There used to be some people who offer unpaid services in the area. We have written all of them in the history books, we thank them and we will always be grateful to them. It would not be an exaggeration to say today, without all of them “we would have nothing”, nor would we have today’s dialogue.
On the contrary, we read intentionally or unintentionally inaccuracies on the website of our municipality about the museum that “rewrite” history to their liking, “was turned into a Museum of Kynouria by the curator”…. that some people think that it is not important to advertise employees who happened to hold a position in the Ministry of Education and Science at that time and who “did not do the real job” that others started many years earlier and ended, our late respected professor “ancient Greek” Kyriakos (Koulis) Hasapogiannis and our above respected teachers, whom we “forgot” to show inaccuracies. In 1959 the museum was definitely in a neighboring farmhouse building. Let us also mention a pearl that our municipality knows and does not care or discuss. Even today he says on his website “In the following years, it became a school and in 1959, it became an archeological museum”. In 1966 it was definitely not a museum, it was the Lyceum of Astros, I graduated in 1966 from the Lyceum of Astros.
In 1959 the museum was definitely in a neighboring building of the agrokipio
Also in 1967 the Karytsioti school was not a museum, it was the Lyceum of Astros.
And by the way, since we are talking about pearls, we remind our fellow citizens, one day the people in charge who know it will understand, and another pearl of our municipality’s website, irrelevant to our subject, but it is important for some. https://www.discoverkynouria.gr/en/sights/faraggi-lepidas “The Lepida Gorge, although not very large, has wonderful natural beauty. To reach the gorge one has two options either from Kato Doliana or from Kastritochoria. “
“Here the president of our community needs Loufolias’ mangoura.”
On 7-10-2008, under the pretext of a crack, the Ministry of Culture closed the Archaeological Museum of Astros and recklessly, without a reasoned decision of the competent authorities of the Ministry of Culture, abusively locked the separate “Holy Shrine” of the Second Nation.
With the YPPOT / DAVMM / 91790 2329 BC-12-01-2011 decision was approved the “Study for the Removal of the Archaeological Museum of Astros with conditions (ΑΔΑ-4Α9Γ-99) and on 22-04-2013 the Programmatic Cultural Development Contract was signed for the execution of the project between the former YPAITHPA, the Peloponnese Region and the Municipality of North Kynouria. The approved works started in April 2014 and were completed in December 2015.
On 12-1-2011 with ΑΔΑ-4Α9Γ-99 the Ministry of Culture set the terms of the project including the following.
“8. To prepare a complete and integrated study <architecture, statics, H-M> for the fixing and restoration of the monument for its operation as a modern museum”. “.… .
Ἀ) Checking the static adequacy of the bearing body and a complete study of fixing and restoration of the monument that will determine the necessary repair and reinforcement works such as… ..”
On 22-7-2016 with the document Α.Π. ΥΠΠΟΑ / ΓΔΑΠΚ / ΕΦΑ ΑΡΚΑΔΙΑΣ 244604/146538/2951, among others it states “εγκ The approved works started in April 2014 and were completed in December 2015 ″”. ”After all the above approved works, the antiquities were relocated to and in the exhibition area. The Museum is ready to reopen but there is no permanent daily staff “….
After 2015, with other documents of the Ministry of Culture, the Museum stated that the Museum is ready to reopen.
On 18-5-2018.… With the document Α.Π. ΥΠΠΟΑ / ΓΔΑΠΚ / ΕΦΑΑΡΚ / 218494/158967/1928 among others states… ”Our Service has ensured that the Museum is open in specific cases, having regular amulet staff from the Archaeological Museum of Tegea. which the Archaeological Museum of Astros will be open during the months of May-Augustin 2018. Finally, our Ephorate is waiting for the Announcement of ASEP for permanent prison staff at the Astros Museum ”… ..
On June 20, 2018 “with the no. 8Κ / 2018 Announcement of ASEP (Government Gazette 19 / τ ΑΣΕΠ / 20-6-18> is required the filling of a permanent position of regular daily guardian of antiquities for the Archaeological Museum and Astros Sites.
In February, 2020, we listened with great pleasure to our mayor who publicly mentioned and decided with specific actions to open the Archaeological Museum of Astros and the “Sacred Space” of the Second National Assembly of the Greeks.
The Ministry of Culture is “meeting” and to date has not responded to our reports. He gave us the protocol numbers that we had to file in our file “Efficiency of the Greek State”, until we decide whether to resort to the Greek and European authorities for any of our legal rights in accordance with the article of the Constitution on the right of petition and Greek law or We will publish in the Greek and world press what we consider important and useful for our fellow citizens (which we will start soon).
“We have submitted a document with reference number 109057 dated 14/03/2018 and to date we have not received a reasoned response.”
“Your document was registered with the General Directorate of Antiquities and Cultural Heritage with notification to the Office of the Secretary General of Culture and number: 568072”
“Your document was registered with number: 590807”
The Archaeological Museum of Astros without shame no one remains closed to this day and opens from time to time for ashes in our eyes.
The local community angrily waits patiently and silently for the common mind to prevail and will never accept “the pretext of the crack” to become the pretext of “static adequacy”. He thinks and does not understand why the Ministry of Culture spent the money (we do not know the final amount since the studies of the static adequacy of the building must be added), for the Archaeological Museum of Astros from 2011 to 2015 and from 2015 until today. Maybe one day we will find out.
Information: Astros Archaeological Museum, Karytsioti Old School Building, Astros Kynourias, 22001, Arcadia Telephone: (+30) 2755023701
In our opinion, the most important historical monuments in our municipality that we must always distinguish and promote where we can are:
We do not celebrate only once a year, but we always have them open and we display them where we can on the website of our municipality
The entrance of the “Holy Space” of the 2nd National Assembly of the Greeks and the Archaeological Museum of Astros is a historical monument. Here the old man of Moria and the delegates of the National Assembly walked to participate in the national assembly.