The majestic church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos in Agiannis was renovated and became a patriarchal exarchate in 1638. Plenty of icy water springs just below the church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos in Agiannis. Just as the water flows through five canals, one is very low, as if the water seems to be coming through the church.
We welcome the anniversary events to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Greek Revolution.
It is no coincidence that our ancestors “lived for four hundred and so many years in the abomination and resurrection day”. No nation in world history has resisted for four hundred years and finally victoriously drove out the conquerors.
Agios Ioannis (Agiannis) of Kynouria, was the capital of the Greek state in 1822 and offered many and important things in the revolution of 1821.
Astros and Agios Ioannis (Agiannis) were for at least eight hundred years and from the first organization of the Greek state administratively a community, as today, and most importantly the inhabitants of Agiannites and Astrinos are the same inhabitants, they had and still have houses in Agianni and Astros. For many centuries before the revolution of 1821 in different reports and maps the two settlements Astros and Agiannis are mixed, Astros refers to Astros, becomes Agiannis, Kalivia Astros, Agiannitika huts and Agiannis refers to Agiannis, becomes Astros, Astros and Agiannis of Astros. It seems that Astros started from the xerokambi and the castle of Oria, Estella, which is located near Agiannis until the castle of Paralio Astros or also Estellas, and its core was the inhabitants of Agiannis and today’s Astros. Astros and Paralio Astros came from the village of Agios Ioannis, as well as other settlements. Let us remember what Thucydides told us, “the inhabitants are the states”, the cities and the castles are not states.
The Municipality of Thyreas, based in the settlement of Agios Ioannis, was established by a decree of 9 (21st) November 1834/12 May 1835, Government Gazette 16A – 24/05/1835 In 1841 the settlement of Astros is defined as the winter seat of the municipality and the settlement of Agios Ioannis is defined as the summer seat of the municipality, Government Gazette 5A – 08/03/1841. The settlement of Paralio Astros is annexed to the municipality of Thyreas Government Gazette 32A – 08/12/1845 and the settlement is detached from the municipality of Thyreas and is designated as the seat of the community of Paralio Astros Government Gazette 252A – 24/08/1912.
Agios Ioannis (Agiannis) in 1845 is defined as the summer seat of the province of Kynouria, initially the winter seat of the province of Kynouria was Prastos and later Leonidio.
In 1912, the old Municipal system of 1834 was abolished and the communities were established. The following communities emerged from the Municipality of Thyreas: Astros, Vervena, Xiropigadou, Paralio Astros, Meligos, Platanos and Haradros. From 1912 the settlement of Astros was the seat of the community of Astros seat of the community. Government Gazette 250A – 18/07/1915). For historical reasons, Astros evolved into the Municipality of Astros in 1985. Since 1997, Astros has been the seat of the Municipality of North Kynouria.
The first official mention of the city with the name “Astros” is found in a gold bull of the year 1293. Saint John of Arcadia is mentioned for the first time in 1435 in the Chronicle of the Fall of George Sfrantzis and probably took its name from the church of St. John the Baptist , located at the bottom of the village. From the Patriarchal sigil of the year 1719, the patriarchal and Stavropegian privilege of the Loukous Monastery is renewed. This document mentions Agios Ioannis as a village near Loukous. In addition, he mentions that in 1550, the Loukous Monastery was completely renovated with the help of 6 Agianni furriers, who lived in Constantinople.
The people of Agianni never really surrendered to the conquerors and as a proof of their way they managed to keep their schools open throughout the Turkish yoke and kept the flame of the nation hidden and openly lit.
The majestic church of Prodromos in Agiannis was renovated and became a patriarchal exarchate in 1638. A very important document of that time is a sigil of 1638. According to this document “the country of Agios Ioannis is declared a crossroads after the church of the same name” and was defined < In the church of Agios Ioannis, the church of Agios Vassilios is subject to the village >>. This proclamation was mediated by Agiannite merchants living in Constantinople.
From the same sigil of 1638 we are informed that Agiannis became a patriarchal exarchate “for the sake of course of the School of Agios Ioannis, operating much older”. According to this passage, a school operated in Agios Ioannis, long before 1638. In Agios Ioannis, there were also “inferior” schools, such as that of Papakiand secret schools, first in the Metochi of the Monastery of Loukous, Agios Dimitrios and later in the narthexes of the churches of the village.
In 1715, the inhabitants of Agios Ioannis “Nafplio” were allowed to establish a school, which is certainly Agios Ioannis of Arcadia, since during the Venetian occupation, the village belonged ecclesiastically and administratively to Nafplio. This school was “higher” and was called the School of St. John. This school was a forerunner of the historical Karytsiotis School.
In 1765, a school was founded in the church of Agios Dimitrios, part of the Loukous Monastery in Arcadia.
Our great benefactor Dimitrios Karytsiotis <1741-1819> was born in Agios Ioannis <Agiannis> and according to the tradition of Agianniti, he left “with a tsarouchi”. and in 1805 he built in Astros the branch of the School of Agios Ioannis. The school building in Astros now houses the keyed Archaeological Museum of Astros. The school of Karytsioti, operated during the years 1798 – 1826 and gained a great reputation, as students from various parts of Greece gathered.
When Ibrahim in 1826 burned down our homeland and the Karytsiotis school in Koutri in Agiannis, also then there was no state and our politicians were forced to run to the mountains to be saved. Our ancestors, the people of toil and everyday life, did not bend or surrender. They did what they could in the ashes to say in their own way the state is here, as they still offered their homes to be used for schools, after the school in its place had burned down.
“According to the historian Nikolaos I. Floudas, who saved the relevant Agianniti tradition, after the burning of the Karytsiotis School by Ibrahim Pasha, the students were taught in the basement of this mansion (there was a preacher Ioannis Mattheos today under a crypt that reached the neighboring house of Ioannis An. Vlachakis, had at its ends turakia (stone seats), where students were taught) as well as the neighboring mansion of Fourliga (Grigoriou Kourogiorgas).
“The mansion of the Kourogiorgas – Fourliga family in Agios Ioannis. It is located in the place “Elagos – Agios Vassilios”, near the source Soulinari. A lower school of the village was housed here during the Turkish occupation.
The mansion of Agiannitis prostos Ioannis Mattheos today Kourogiorga – Kapila. In the basements and in the crypt of this house, the students of the lower school (housed in the neighboring house of Fourliga) were taught during the invasion of Ibrahim in 1826 “.
“In 1829 in the village there was a Mutual School with about 150 students. In 1867 the so-called “Old School” was built.
In the period 1960 – 1965 a new Primary School was erected In 1867 the so-called “Old School” was built in the neighborhood of Soulinari.
The people of Agianni and Astrin “squid” realized very early, at least 500 years ago, that schools and “letters” were the only way to “change the lives of their children” and gave everything even today to schools and letters.
From the beginning of the revolution in 1821 there were discussions between the protestors and the chiefs to become a government of the Greek revolutionaries that would be based in Agianni. Eventually the Karytsioti school played a primary and decisive role in making Agiannis the capital of revolutionary Greece from August 15 to October 1, 1822. The “government” located very close to the Karytsiotis school of Agiannis was the seat of government. The loopholes under the windows of the building can be seen. Later in 1825 it was also unsuccessfully proposed that Agiannis become the seat of the Greek government again.
Panos (Akouros) Zafeiropoulos, is one of the most important, or rather the most important Agiannitis before the revolution of 1821 and his contribution to the Thyratida Earth and the homeland is incalculable and passed in the fine print of history, is not mentioned in the history books is strangely unknown for its great offers in our country.
The mansion of Zafeiropouloi in Agios Ioannis is located very close below the school Karytsiotis of Agiannis and above the spring Soulinari. Here Akouros saved and temporarily transported the smoked 1500 books of the Karytsiotis school, before transferring them for better protection to the castle of Paralio Astros.
At the beginning of July 1826, the military corps of Panos Zafeiropoulos slaughtered 400 Arabs in an ambush set up by Mehmet aga of Tripoli. This was a very heavy blow to the Ottomans. That is why Ibrahim Pasha completely destroyed Agios Ioannis and the whole province of Agios Petros ” Ibrahim slaughtered and burned the entire Peloponnese, but was never able to defeat Akuros, although he had temporarily captured him, not even on August 5 and 6, 1826 at the castle of Paralio AstroSomeone had to resist and it is our great honor, that was Panagiotis Zafeiropoulos from Agiannitis (Akouros).
From the burning of the Karytsiotis School in Agiannis, 1500 books were saved, which were kept in 1827 in the house of the Zafeiropouloi (Castle of Paralio Astros). These books were, according to tradition, placed in an old wooden library located in the offices of the School. Many of these books have been saved and recorded today. These books were mostly texts of ancient philosophers and writers, ecclesiastical texts, textbooks of physics, mathematics, etc. “
The historic Agios Ioannis (Agiannis) of Kynouria, was the capital of the Greek state in 1822.